Old nhl logo?

CJR

The assumption that because the logo appears on a couple of NHL licenced items, it was an official mark, is inherently flawed. Historians don't research goods manufactured 60 years after the fact to determine authenticity, they study REAL artifacts, photographs, and records.

That jacket wasnt made by M & N either, it's from Ebbets Field Flannels. Having spoken to them (the owners) in person, I have a sound understanding of how they researched their NHL line. Some items are based on artifacts from the Hall of Fame, but when they say "inspired by the originals" it basically means the details are innacurate or simply made up.

Did anyone notice the historically innacurate Rangers crest on that jacket? What about the innacurate crests on the Habs and Wings jackets from the same product line? If they mess up on details like that then why should we assume they strived for historical accuracy?

Coincidently, I have a pic of a wings crest from a jacket that says "national league detroit red wings 1939" with the can am flags. It looks nothing like the NHL crest in question. There also exists a wings jacket from the fifties featuring a logo with the name "red wings" inside an oxford stylised capital "D". Many historians have seen these too but noone considers them to be official. This was the era of hand cut crests, remember?

Even if we assume a Rangers jacket does exist in the HHOF with that patch, it doesn't mean it was ever an official mark.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back from the dead again...

I recently saw a photo taken sometime in the early 1930s of several NHL officials wearing sweaters with a slightly different version of the current NHL logo.  In this one, the lettering was simply rotated diagonally acrosss the shield rather than being skewed diagonally.

Read into it whatever you want.

Archived