Old nhl logo?

CJR

One of the really cool features of the upcoming ESPN Hockey game is the ability to play as past teams. This screenshot shows one of those games...

08-26_historicarena.jpg

Now, at center ice is that an old NHL logo that existed before the current shield (which was around at least as early as 1950) or is it a fictional one created for the game?

Possibly answering my own question, but I don't know for certain...

The gold sweaters look to be those the Bruins wore in 1955-56 and 1956-57.  This would be after the earliest season I know of that the current NHL shield was in use, pointing toward the video game having created a new logo.  However, it's possible the game uses that logo for all games involving past teams, even if the team is from an era when that logo wasn't in use.

In short, I didn't really answer anything, just adding more information.

i was lookin at sum video clips of teh game and they had this game..it was the 52 and 54 teams (or sumwhere in the early 50's) there was also another old time game and it had the old logo as well so i just guess they want to show the nhl past logo to accomodate it
untitled-1.png

• 1 month later...

sorry, I sorta posted another post becuase about this becuase I couldn't find this thread, then I found it and posted a link, and didn't respond to this so i would clutter the board.

What I was posting about was that I saw a picture of Herb Brooks back when he coached the reangers in a ranger jacket with the logo on the sleeve. It was in the hockey chronicles, and it was a refernce book at school so I couldn't check it out to scan a pic of it.

I know the current shield was used back then but I think that this was an alternate NHL logo back then.

Sorry, no pic unfortunatly.

the nhl shield logo didnt turn up until the late forties and it was likely used only as a crest for the red white and blue all star sweaters. Ive seen game programs, official guides, and other memorabilia from the 20's to the 50's and nowhere is NHL shield logo featured.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bringing up this very old topic, but as I said earlier I've seen pics with the logo scene in the game. I was searching the NHL shop and saw this. It's a 1939-40 (I still remember those great chants) Rangers Jacket. See the logo on the sleeve.

Here's the jacket

jacket.jpg

Here's the screen

screen.jpg

I still question it's actual use as the official NHL logo.  Just because a game has it never means it's 100% authentic, the sheild, and two sticks logo is something you see a lot on amateur hockey jackets with the "NHL" part replaced with whatever.  I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same deal here.

I have a old CD program put out by the Hockey News which includes the history of NHL logos for all nhl teams, and according to them it has been the same logo for the nhl since 1917.

Perhaps i'll ask the HHOF about it.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Edit: Here's a Description of the jacket from the NHL Shop

It was common in the 1930s and 1940s for Stanley Cup-winning teams to award themselves for their success with stylish jackets. The beauty of these jackets was not only in fabric and construction, but in the finely detailed patches and crests which adorned them. Our Heritage jackets are inspired by the originals. They are made of weather-resistant cotton poplin with a polyester lining. They feature team crests as well as embroidered patches which commemorate a Stanley Cup winning season. They also have a chenille NHL sleeve patch and the crossed U.S. and old Canadian flags.

I would not be surprised if Chris is right and this is a common hockey patch, but I also would not be surprised if this was an alternate logo of sorts adopted by the NHL for a period of time. Similar to the silver and black shield or the puck logos the NHL sometimes (yeah right, more than the regular) uses.

There are two sorces i have seen that shows this logo was used in the early history of the league. THe video-game obviously did some research, and the Rangers jacket backs up the video game. Might it not be an actual logo, sure, but i think it looks likely it might haveb een used at some point. I would like to hear what the HOF has to say. I love all of this historical stuff...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I've heard that the Hockey News CD was highly inaccurate as it was the result of some lazy research.

As I said in an earlier post, the earliest I've ever seen documented use of the current shield in orange and black is 1950.  The earliest I've seen it used in any color set is 1947.  The 1947 colors of the current logo were red, white, and blue, maybe not coincedentally the same colors as the logo in question.

Like JQK, I'd like to see what the HOF has to say.

I think it would be very interesting to know whether the game maker was historically accurate regarding the NHL crest.  It would be quite ironic considering their "rink" flies a historically inaccurate Canadian flag.  The Maple Leaf flag wasn't adopted until 1965.  The Red Ensign flag on the Ranger jacket posted above is, however, historically accurate.

Bump to try to convince someone to do the work required to figure this out.

Just guessing by what little I've seen...  I'd say the video game logo was used until 1945 (maybe 1947), then new logo was brought in but kept the old colors, then in 1950 the current logo was created.

Archived