Martz forced to step aside

yh

Here's the story from the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Personally, I think Martz, true to form, is trying to be his old maverick cowboy self, perhaps to the detriment of his own health. Bacterial infections to major organs are nothing to toy around with and you can be feeling good one day and knocking on death's door the next.

Hopefully he'll heed whatever advice his doctors give him and he'll kick this thing. If unchecked this type of infection can spread easily to the lungs and shut them down pretty quickly. Three years ago my mom developed the same type of infection and nearly died. She was hospitalized for 18 days, 5 of which were on a ventilator. Two years after that, a similar infection started in her intestine and eventually did get into her lungs and that infection did in fact kill her, so I've had the misfortune of learning quite a bit about what kind of damage a raging infection can wreak. It's my hope that Martz learns a new trick in letting someone else tell him what to do for his own damn sake.

Here's the story from the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

Personally, I think Martz, true to form, is trying to be his old maverick cowboy self, perhaps to the detriment of his own health. Bacterial infections to major organs are nothing to toy around with and you can be feeling good one day and knocking on death's door the next.

Hopefully he'll heed whatever advice his doctors give him and he'll kick this thing. If unchecked this type of infection can spread easily to the lungs and shut them down pretty quickly. Three years ago my mom developed the same type of infection and nearly died. She was hospitalized for 18 days, 5 of which were on a ventilator. Two years after that, a similar infection started in her intestine and eventually did get into her lungs and that infection did in fact kill her, so I've had the misfortune of learning quite a bit about what kind of damage a raging infection can wreak. It's my hope that Martz learns a new trick in letting someone else tell him what to do for his own damn sake.

Oh my, God. I'm sorry to hear that. That's terrible.

I think Martz is a horrible coach, but I don't wish him any ill-will. You can't play games with the heart.

Good luck and Godspeed...and quit coaching!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I just hope the STL players I have on my fantasy team can keep up the scoring with Martz gone. :D

Is nothing sacred? The man could die...and you're worried about your fantasy team?

Yes, I know I need to lighten up, but damn, dude...

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I just hope the STL players I have on my fantasy team can keep up the scoring with Martz gone. :D

Is nothing sacred? The man could die...and you're worried about your fantasy team?

Yes, I know I need to lighten up, but damn, dude...

Man, you know if Martz did die, I'd be sad for him . . . and my fantasy team. :P

I keed. I keed. I truly do hope that Martz comes out okay and is back on the sidelines by the end of the year.

6uXNWAo.png

• 2 weeks later...

As I write this, Martz is speaking at a press conference where he has just announced that he is stepping aside as the head coach for the full remainder of the 2005-06 season. He feels it's in the best interest of his health and the team that he simply put off any type of limited return to the team this year.

Though I haven't seen the conference or read anything, I was told that he said he is doing much better but is taking the advice of his doctors and trying to have a full recovery before coming back.

I wanted to add this so people did not worry he was doing this because his condition was worsening.

I think this was the best thing he could do. He can go on with his life without worrying about rushing back to coaching, the team can move forward without worrying too much about Coach Martz, and he can recover in relative peace.

Archived