White Sox GM Blasts Big Hurt

Cujo

White Sox GM: 'He better stay out of White Sox business

Kenny Williams on Frank Thomas: "He's an idiot. He's selfish and that's why we don't miss him, by the way. If you go out there and ask any one of my players or staff members, we don't miss him. We don't miss his attitude. We don't miss the whining. We don't miss it. Good riddance. See you later."

Williams' entire take can be seen in the video at the link provided. I don't think I've ever seen a GM blast a former player like this, especially to someone who was a loyal White Sox player for as many years as Thomas was there. Ouch.

6uXNWAo.png

Here's what Buster Olney wrote about that:

Williams doesn't deserve blameposted: Monday, February 27, 2006  |  Feedback

Over the last five seasons, Frank Thomas -- who is paid to hit -- has had one season of more than 30 homers and one season in which he achieved 100 RBI. Yet during that time, the White Sox paid Thomas $39 million in salary.

Over the last two years, Thomas mustered a total of 345 at-bats because of foot problems, and in that time, he made $14 million in base salary.

He hasn't been a dominant player since the last century, but the White Sox kept bringing him back. They kept paying him big money. They kept putting him in the lineup whenever he was healthy. When he said he was unhappy, they talked to him. At the World Series last year, they let him throw out a first ball. They let him speak at the championship parade, even though his contribution to the championship was 105 at-bats. In practical terms, Bobby Jenks meant far more to the White Sox last year than Thomas, and so did Geoff Blum, Aaron Rowand, Dustin Hermanson and about 20 other players.

But the White Sox deferred to the Big Hurt, as they've done for years. After the White Sox effectively replaced Thomas in November -- with another Hall of Fame candidate, Jim Thome -- Thomas made noises about being disrespected. But the White Sox executives said nothing.

Thomas kept on complaining, though, through December, through January and to a columnist last week.

And you know what? White Sox GM Kenny Williams -- who is as respectful as any person I know in baseball -- had enough, calling Thomas an idiot. I suspect he said out loud what many in the organization have felt for years.

I don't blame him. The hardest player to deal with, Sparky Anderson once said, is an aging star, and the White Sox certainly got a plateful of complaining from Frank Thomas.

Rick Telander agrees with Williams, too: Enough is enough. And he mentions that despite 930 homers, Sammy Sosa and Thomas have disappeared over the horizon and no one seems to care. Thomas' departure reminds Barry Rozner of how Scottie Pippen went out the door.

Ozzie Guillen smartly stayed out of this.

Jim Thome is limited to DH duty for now.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived