Chris Berman

infrared41

I am guessing Miller probably speaks spanish so he is just using the proper pronounciation when he says the latin players names. I've heard other bi-lingual announcers do the same thing. Orestes Destrade (at least I think it was him) was doing it during the World Baseball Classic. I think it's classy and it shows some respect. I wish more announcers would make the attempt.

I believe Ahn-druw is the way it's supposed to be pronounced. If I recall I think the Braves announcers and ESPN guys use Ahn-druw as well. Ann-drew is the incorrect pronounciation.

So Miller isn't showing off he's just speaking properly. :D

He's one of the best and that's part of the reason.

Andruw, on more than one occasion on Braves telecasts, has said it's "Ann-drew", not "On-drew". I think I'll trust the player's pronunciation over some broadcaster who rarely does the play-by-play of this player.

Jon Miller should spend more time on getting the count right than he does on going Ah-rrrr-ahm-AYS Rah-MEE-rAYZ. All night he was screwing up the balls and strikes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am guessing Miller probably speaks spanish so he is just using the proper pronounciation when he says the latin players names. I've heard other bi-lingual announcers do the same thing.  Orestes Destrade (at least I think it was him) was doing it during the World Baseball Classic. I think it's classy and it shows some respect. I wish more announcers would make the attempt.

I believe Ahn-druw is the way it's supposed to be pronounced. If I recall I think the Braves announcers and ESPN guys use Ahn-druw as well. Ann-drew is the incorrect pronounciation.

So Miller isn't showing off he's just speaking properly. :D

He's one of the best and that's part of the reason.

Andruw, on more than one occasion on Braves telecasts, has said it's "Ann-drew", not "On-drew". I think I'll trust the player's pronunciation over some broadcaster who rarely does the play-by-play of this player.

I stand corrected. Guess my recollection isn't what it used to be. :D

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/espn/youre-...ther-166570.php

my friend was seriously putting the moves on this somewhat attractive young woman, who was wearing leather pants and had a leather jacket draped over her lap. They had been chatting at the bar for about an hour, and my friend thought he was in the house. I had never seen someone work so hard for a score.

But just as he was putting on the finishing touches, Chris Berman walks by. And without even breaking stride, Berman looks at the girl, points and says ?You?re with me, leather.? And the girl looks up, instantly recognizes Berman, snatches up her jacket and walks out with him, leaving my friend in mid-sentence.

Chris Berman: Don't hate the player, hate the game. Stone. Cold. Pimp.

----

commentator linguistics: I'm a Japanese major in college (and have studied the language for close to six years now) so I got some major giggles during the WBC. They were trying *so hard* to get the correct pronunciations.

and Mariners TV and radio commentator Dave Niehaus is an absolute beast. it's gonna be a sad day when he finally retires, and an incredibly happy one when he finally gets into the Hall.

harperdc.gif

Archived