Photo identity challenge

spyboy1

DiMaggio1939.jpgCatcher1939.jpg

This is a picture a friend of mine bought at an antique store. We can identify right away that it is from 1939 because the catcher is wearing the Baseball Centennial patch and that it was taken on the road because DiMaggio is wearing his "NEW YORK" road grey flannel jersey.

Beyond that the only clues we get are from the catcher, as we cannot immediately identify the ballpark.

Clue #1 is the catcher has piping down his pants leg. Looking through the seven remaining American League home team jerseys from 1939 from the Dressed to the Nines online exhibit, Link to 1939 Jerseys it seems to be narrowed down to Boston, Cleveland, Detroit and the Philadelphia Athletics. Chicago and St. Louis also had a stripe down the center of the sleeve, so the were eliminated, as was Washington who had no leg piping.

There appears to be a small stripe around the bottom of the sleeve, which keeps Boston and Cleveland in the running.

The next clue is the stripes around the socks, which seem to indicate Boston, as they had white stripes and Cleveland's were red on blue, which would give a lot less contrast in the photo.

That's my best guess.

Does anyone recognize this as Fenway Park or have any other input that would help us confirm where this was from?

Thanks,

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Judging by the stands, I'd say that's Fenway Park. Fenway only had the lower grandstands at that point, long before the sky boxes were built, and had the huge window-like openings between the supports at the top of the stands.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

One more point came up at work about it being possibly a National League team in the World Series but, while the Yankees did play the Reds that year, Reds had no piping on the pants or stripes on the socks.

Thanks jpslapshot22 for the confirmation!

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Archived