Maddux/Clemens Trivia

no97

With Greg Maddux winning his 325th game last night, and Roger Clemens being considered "active," as part of the Astros 40-man roster, there are now two 325 game winners active for the first time since 1927. Name the two active in 1927.

Moose

Hmmm...my guess is Walter Johnson and Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Correct. It was a factoid on Baseball Tonight last night, so i thought someone would get it fairly easily... Still, pretty impressive that it's been so long. (Also cool (at least to me) that one of each - Maddux and Alexander have ties to the Cubs)

Moose

I hope we get the chance to see them face each other this season. That would be really cool.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I hope we get the chance to see them face each other this season.  That would be really cool.

They did meet up once last year (4/29/05) in Houston (they each had 300 wins at the time), but the 325 win thing would make it even more special. Interestingly enough, the only on-line story about it I could find was in the Cincinnati Post. That may be because the Chicago Tribune charges for their archive after ten days...

Moose

edit - I just looked it up, the Cubs and Astros play nine more times after the Rockets return June 22nd (plus three before) - six in Houston and three at Wrigley. That leaves a decent chance of another Maddux/Clemens matchup this summer.

Archived