New San Diego St. helmet

Ry

Damn!!! SD State just went from my favorite helmets in College ball to my least favorite. If i was a new recruit id be so bummed.

If you're a recruit, and you're basing your decision on where you're going to attend college based on how much you like their helmets, you're missing the boat. Badly . Aren't there rational adults guiding these youngsters, telling them that a pretty helmet is trumped by a successful program, the quality of the men they produce, and the strength of the school's education?

The new helmet, while it looks more traditional, is basically what many other schools have: the school's primary color with the name on it (see Maryland, Pitt, Illinois, Southern Miss, UTEP, Tulsa, Ohio, Toledo, UNLV, TCU, Cal, UCLA, Florida, Ole Miss, Boise State, Idaho, etc., and that's not to mention the ones that use a school abbreviation on it, like Wake Forest or Missouri). BORRRRing!

None of the aforementioned schools have a particularily iconic helmet. In my opinion, it's much better to go with something unique, if you can avoid being downright ugly.

Are you kidding with this?

1. Other than Maryland, Florida and Southern Miss, the schools you listed have the school's name on them. The Aztecs went with the exceptions and used the mascot. Not the same, and I have no problem with "AZTECS", even if the shield was better.

2. Very few schools use "abbreviations". Ole Miss and Pitt use a school nickname; the others often use their monogram, the same one that appears on their basketball courts, their lettermen jackets, and on SportsCenter graphics.

3. "Not particularly iconic"? Cal, UCLA, Florida are DEFINITELY iconic, and I'd argue that Pitt and Ole Miss are pretty damn close. Here are more some "boring" helmets you excluded - see if anyone recognizes them: UGA ("G" monogram... also used by Grambling), Tennessee ("Power 'T'"), UNC ("NC" monogram), Arizona ("A" monogram), Oregon ("O"), Washington ("W"), Nebraska ("N"), Oklahoma ("OU"), Minnesota ("M"), Wisconsin ("W"), Indiana ("IU"), Purdue ("P")... you want more? Any of these AREN'T iconic? Worse for you, they're iconic BECAUSE of their "boring" monogram.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived