Major League Soccer Jersey Avertising

Brian in Boston

There are many more soccer fans in this country than 10 years ago.  And I'm one of them.

I've been a soccer fan - and participant - for 36 years. You're kidding yourself, "Junior".

And how was he not stating a fact? If there was not a larger soccer audience that has built up over the past decade, we'd not have the quantity of media outlets specific to the game. This past World Cup had an unprecedented viewership that will keep growing.

It may not be visible in your area, but in New York, Dallas/Ft. Worth, L.A., Atlanta, Chicago and Miami, it's growing very quickly.

If there was not a larger soccer audience that has built up over the past decade, we'd not have the quantity of media outlets specific to the game.

"Quantity" of media outlets? The last I checked, there were two "fringe" cable outlets: Fox Soccer Channel and GOL TV. Not exactly an overwhelming infilatration of soccer broadcasters.

Bottom line? Soccer is the very definition of a "fringe sport" in this country.

All I said was there were more fans now than there were 10 years ago. I didn't say or imply that you weren't a fan 10 years ago. I wasn't saying there weren't more fans 20 years ago than there are today. And I was just saying, I'm one of the new fans. I'm well aware the world existed before I did, I'm actually one of the few my age that do realize that.

"Senior" ;)

Given that I came of age during the North American Soccer League's heyday, Major League Soccer's strides over the past decade don't overly impress me. I'll be impressed when MLS makes it to twenty years as a stable pro soccer league.

not so fast, my friend. the NASL flourished for 16 years, but the MLS is set up to be successful for much longer than that. I'm glad they're taking the lessons of the NASL and playing it slow right now - having a league is better than not.

ESPN has expanded to showing two Champion's League games a week live on ESPN2, they're advertising during the game for their ESPN Deportes broadcasts, and they're also showing a second game in each day on replay on ESPN Classic. Compare that to the last few years, where sometimes we'd get two games a week, sometimes only one. I'd say that's another baby step too.

harperdc.gif

C'mon, soccer fans. Face it - yours is a sport that will, because of its slow, methodical nature, will NEVER catch on to become a 'major' sport in America. It's just not conducive to American-style marketing.

I know My reply is late but.....

10384xdek37mz7d.jpg

image,Shane-spc-Williams,white,black.png

Given that I came of age during the North American Soccer League's heyday, Major League Soccer's strides over the past decade don't overly impress me. I'll be impressed when MLS makes it to twenty years as a stable pro soccer league.

not so fast, my friend. the NASL flourished for 16 years, but the MLS is set up to be successful for much longer than that. I'm glad they're taking the lessons of the NASL and playing it slow right now - having a league is better than not.

ESPN has expanded to showing two Champion's League games a week live on ESPN2, they're advertising during the game for their ESPN Deportes broadcasts, and they're also showing a second game in each day on replay on ESPN Classic. Compare that to the last few years, where sometimes we'd get two games a week, sometimes only one. I'd say that's another baby step too.

While there are certainly many more strides to be made in terms of ensuring the success of MLS, I believe there have been a good number already made. If you had asked soccer fans 10 years ago if Chelsea would be playing an All-Star game vs. MLS's best, in a soccer specific stadium this year, in the States, many would have laughed. I think that's a good indicator that a good deal of progress has already been made so far. Soccer-spec stadiums are a good sign, and the talent pool here in MLS is certainly becoming more formidable. Plus, when you have NASL as a "lesson learned", hindsight is a great teacher in all of this.

Don't get me wrong, MLS has more than a few more leaps and bounds to go. But I think given the past 10 years, from where we were in 1996 to where we are today, I think you can't help but notice that the landscape has changed to MLS's benefit.

Archived