The Beginnings of NFL Films

whitedawg22

This unfortunately won't apply to everyone, but for anyone who has Comcast digital cable, there is an EXCELLENT free film on demand right now under "Sports and Fitness" called "The Beginnings". It's a 45 minute look at a bunch of unused clips from NFL games in 1962-64 that were discovered in some rusted cans in the NFL Films vaults. Unbelievable hits, action, personalities, and uniforms that didn't make any of the highlight reels that everyone has seen because they didn't involve premier teams, had something wrong with the production, or showed a side of the NFL that the league didn't want to publicize.

The first thing I noticed when looking at this was how GREAT the uniforms of the day were. Simple, distinct, yet somehow more varied and unique than today's sets. The overall palette was just extraordinary.

Also, for any photography or film buffs, this film gives insight into some of the techniques and challenges of the day, such as how to use a windup camera with low-tech film when it's 20 below zero.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

that sounds VERY much like "Lost Treasures of NFL Films-Volume 1" which is a 3 DVD set available at your local Sam Goody or other Video store. I own a copy, and can confirm that it is fantastic. The film used is bright and vibrant and has held up well over the years. If it is the same thing I'm thinking of, it is an amazing piece. Legends such as Johnny Unitas, Fran Tarkenton, Don Meredith, Sam Huff, Jimmy Brown, etc are present and you have great examples of the early sixties uniforms and how beautiful they were, esp the Chicago Bears.

metslogo_215.gif

that sounds VERY much like "Lost Treasures of NFL Films-Volume 1" which is a 3 DVD set available at your local Sam Goody or other Video store. I own a copy, and can confirm that it is fantastic. The film used is bright and vibrant and has held up well over the years. If it is the same thing I'm thinking of, it is an amazing piece. Legends such as Johnny Unitas, Fran Tarkenton, Don Meredith, Sam Huff, Jimmy Brown, etc are present and you have great examples of the early sixties uniforms and how beautiful they were, esp the Chicago Bears.

After a little research, I believe they are the same film. It seems that NFL Films has called it different things over the years, including "The Beginning" and "At the Creation".

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived