Kings @ Blues: Free Food Day

STL FANATIC

I just got back from the Blues game (well, that was true 3 or so hours ago before I had to get up while writing this), it was great.

The Blues have been getting their attendance back up with more energetic play, but for the nationally televised game on NBC, they wanted to get the place pretty close to full.

A little pathetic to admit you need to do something as drastic as free food? Sure. But, hey, they want to bring the fans back, and it's nice that they'll do whatever they need to. They put on a great performance (at least offensively) to try and keep the fans coming back.

Hot Dogs, Chicken Fingers, Potato Chips, Peanuts, Soda, and Water were all free. Not Nachos, Beer, or the other specialty items, but plenty of stuff was.

It was just a really fun atmosphere, and the Blues went all out with it. First off, they knew what they were doing. They had plenty of the items prepared, and they set up some extra lines and put out tons of packets of condiments. There was a 4 item per person per visit limit, but I don't think that ever caused any problems since you could go right back, and there was never much of a line because they were really quick.

A lot of the graphics, songs, and movie/tv clips shown over the scoreboard screens dealt with the food theme. A fan had a sign that read "Thanks for lunch, Dave" (referencing owner Dave Checketts) and that drew a large applause when shown over the board.

It was just a lot of fun in addition to a fantastic game.

Like I said, maybe a little pathetic, but it's nice that the organization is willing to do something like this to get fans back, and like I said, with the energy they've been playing with, the attendance has started to rise anyways. It's not a matter of fans being bandwagoners, but it's a case of midmarket fans who've just enjoyed and spent on a World Championship in another sport needing to see some effort to make spending their money worthwhile.

We're back on track.

It's nice to see a team giving something away. Especially something that is normally such a moneymaker. Hopefully for the Blues organization, some of the money not spent on food went to their team store instead (or at least beer and nacho sales, it seem).

I would definitely show up for a free food day. It sounds like this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Unlike what the Dodgers are doing for the outfield seats, I like what they are doing. Now teh Dodgers are also allowing nachos. I would thing that water could still be sold for a $1 because of the margin on it (for both promotions) but good for the fans. Now, the Blues need to have free toasted ravioli, they it would be sold out. Imo's Pizza would be another thread.

FYI, last time I was at a Blues games and then Kiel Center was 2000. Therefore I have little reason to know what has occurred since then outside of the team losing, a lockout, and sale of the Blues and facility..

Archived