Harley-Davidson logo knockoff

Patsfan99

I often see the Harley-Davidson logo (or more correctly, the shield and bar of the logo) appropriated for various uses. most often this is for bike clubs, bike shops etc. So I'm gathering that Harley is fairly lenient about it and doesn't sweat the small stuff.

I'm doing a shirt for a running group that's going to bike week in florida... I didn't do the art, but I'm prepping it for printing and arranging the printing contract. they've taken the harley logo and filled it with words describing their group. they don't have anything to do with motorcycles, other than they're convening at bike week.

can't imagine there would be any issues with using it in this form, as it's a shirt for a select group of people, will not be available to the public, and I'm not even sure that they're making any money off this. however, I get concerned and don't want to be liable in any way for trademark infringement or anything.

anyone have any advice, or more specifically, experience with use of this logo?

Ask these guys:

http://www.arn1e.co.uk/harley.htm

Specifically, we are aware that you are using a slightly altered version of our Bar & Shield Design trademark, which has the words "Iron Head Motor Company"
Please note that the Bar & Shield Design trademark is protected regardless of the wording or graphic element contained therein. Slightly modifying our design does not and would not make this distinctively different from ours.

Archived