The King is dead. Long Live The King!

Mac the Knife

For those unfamiliar, Eddie Feigner was an absolute phenomenon on the softball diamond. In 1946 while a member of the post WWII Marine Corps, he was a pitcher for one of his post's softball teams. His pitching prowess challenged one day, he declared "I'll play any team of 9 with only 4 players - a pitcher, catcher, first baseman and shortstop. I'd only use the pitcher and catcher, but what if you walked us both?"

Someone took him up on the challenge, and the four-man team went on to destroy the 9-man squad, with Eddie hurling a perfect game.

From this, "The King and His Court," perhaps the most legendary softball team of all-time, was born. For the next 60 years (that's right, 60), Eddie and his team toured the world as in essence the "Harlem Globetrotters of Softball," developing over the years a fun, wholesome show that mixed softball wizardry (Eddie pitching blindfolded, from second base, picking off runners at first base by throwing the ball behind his back, playing catch with his teammates by throwing all three softballs at the same time, etc.) with comedy.

Eddie passed away yesterday at the age of 81, just a year removed from the barnstorming life, the victim of what's being described as "dementia." The King and His Court will reportedly live on, but the team's founder, its heart and soul, is now gone.

The King is dead.

Long Live The King!

nav-logo.png

I remember in the 1960s there was a chairty softball game in the baseball offseason between major league stars and Hollywood-TV stars. It was televised on, I believe, NBC. It was fun seeing guys like Willie Mays and Harmon Killebrew against guys like Don Adams and Max Baer Jr.

Of course, the major leaguers were beating up on the Hollywood-TV stars ... until Hollywood-TV brought in a ringer in Eddie Feigner. I remember Willie Mays just standing there, looking, as Feigner whiffed three strikes past Mays. All Willie could do was laugh as he ran back to the bench.

RIP, Eddie. You really were the softball king.

Archived