L.A. Galaxy Jersey Sponsor

roxfan00

Quote:

A more likely blockbuster announcement from MLS is the jersey sponsorship for David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy. Two sources have confirmed that the bidding is down to Citibank and Herbalife (and, interestingly, not Beckham sponsor adidas). The Citibank offer to have its name across the front of Galaxy shirt, the sources said, is a monster: five years, $49 million. A decision is expected any day.

Jersey Sponsor

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

what you guys are forgetting is that the sports group that owns the Galaxy is pretty successful in its own right, and that a LOT of the big dollar amount Becks is getting is coming from his personal sponsors. And keep in mind that's all the money - currently he has to give half of his personal sponsorship deals (off the top of my head adidas, Pepsi, Gillette...any others? I can't remember) to Real Madrid; he's keeping it all in LA, which I guarantee he and his agent put into the deal.

it does inflate the salary number, as it's not really 'salary' per se.

as to why adidas wouldn't want to sponsor Galaxy: they already sponsor the league. I could imagine MLS don't want them to sponsor any teams specifically, and might have put it in their league contract. Again, they've already got the full team outfitting deals ala what they have with the NBA, what Reebok's got with the NFL and NHL, etc...why sponsor a team specifically?

harperdc.gif

Archived