Newcastle United

MrAsterisk

Hi everyone. It's been a couple weeks but I'm back with another soccer concept. Here are the ones I've done previously:

Algeria

Scotland

Chicago Fire

Los Angeles Galaxy

This time, it's Newcastle United of the English Premiership. The magpies, named for the bird whose black-and-white coloring they share, will finish in the bottom half of the league table this year, and a return to Europe is unlikely. Nonetheless, their new kits are disgusting, and despite this year's top class away kits, I felt a makeover was due. So came the time for me to tackle my Adidas-phobia of working the three stripes into the shoulders and shorts of my concepts. I didn't want to take the easy way out again by switching clothing sponsors, so here it is, Adidas and Newcastle United:

NewcastleFinal.jpg

Front and center is, predictably, Toon's consummate kit model, Michael Owen, wearing an adaptation of his club's long-held black and white striped home kit with blue trim. This looks a little like Adidas's outgoing +Teamgeist template, but that was unintentional.

At his right is number 11, Damien Duff, recently acquired from Chelsea. Newcastle's away kit seems to be a radically different color every season, so an obvious choice was to take the blue straight out of the home kit trim and make a shirt out of it. The shirt features a white collar with three small black stripes either side that evoke the home kit. The white shorts and socks are meant to be interchangeable (both ways) with their black counterparts from the home kit.

This is my first concept in which I haven't done a third outfield kit, and the temptation to include Oguchi Onyewu was admittedly difficult to overcome, but I simply couldn't think of a reason for a third kit. The stripes and the blue, along with the shorts and socks, would be adequate for any clash, and Newcastle has no storied history of a third strip.

Now, on to the final kit, one that actually exists (well, not actually, but whatever), which is worn by outstanding Irish goalkeeper Shay Given. This one is a bit funky. The deep purple fabric is of that strange holographic sort, and reflects a bluish-green in the light, drawn from the glossy wings of a magpie. The (also shiny-ish) yellow-orange trim is also inspired by the feathers of a magpie.

C&C pretty please.

Archived