Two ECHL teams to wear throwbacks on Opening Night 07

Geoff

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic.cgi?ac...=1&id=11115

oct.18WHE-JHN.jpg

The ECHL announced on Monday that the only game being played on Opening Day for the 20th Anniversary Season will be a rematch of Game 7 from the first-ever ECHL Finals when the Johnstown Chiefs host the Wheeling Nailers at Cambria County War Memorial on Oct. 18.

...snip...

Wheeling and Johnstown will wear throwback jerseys for the Opening Day game, which will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast to an international audience on B2 Networks, the “Official Broadband Broadcast Provider of the ECHL”.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Actually The Johnstown Chiefs and the Wheeling Nailers are the only original teams in the ECHL, Wheeling used to be the Carolina (Winston-Salem) Thunderbirds until the mid 90's.

I can't wait to the season begins again!!!!

LET'S GO CHIEFS!!!!

They're not the only ones.

Carolina - Now Wheeling

Johnstown - Still Johnstown

Erie - Now Victoria

Virginia - Now Utah

Knoxville - The currently suspended franchise that is moving to Conway/Myrtle Beach in 08-09

Carolina - Now Wheeling

Erie - Now Victoria

Virginia - Now Utah

Knoxville - The currently suspended franchise that is moving to Conway/Myrtle Beach in 08-09

While technically correct, the Chiefs are the only ones to have survived intact in their original city, with their original name. I think any franchise that changes location and nickname breaks its ties to its former city and heritage, and by that way of thinking, the Chiefs are the last of the Mohicans, pardon the pun.

nav-logo.png

Carolina - Now Wheeling

Erie - Now Victoria

Virginia - Now Utah

While technically correct, the Chiefs are the only ones to have survived intact in their original city, with their original name. I think any franchise that changes location and nickname breaks its ties to its former city and heritage, and by that way of thinking, the Chiefs are the last of the Mohicans, pardon the pun.

You are now on my James Craven Memorial $#!+ list. You brought up The Last of the Mohicans. Try playing that form 30 minutes sright at every homecoming game halftime for all four years of high school. You'll hate it too.

Archived