New Orleans Zephyrs Concept

Mings

Actually, not to be argumentative either, but the name Zephyrs was brought with them from Denver when they moved to New Orleans in 1993. The Denver Bears changed their name to the Zephyrs in 1985 and the nickname refers to the passenger train that ran between Denver and Chicago.

But the Pontchartrain Beach Amusement Park is probably a good reason why they decided to keep the name Zephyrs when they moved.

Fair enough, I made an obviously incorrect assumption not knowing they brought the name from Denver. After posting, I realized I wasn't sure about that being the nickname's origin and tried to research that on their website but if an explanation is on there, I missed it.

I have to agree that Pelicans should have been resurrected for this team seeing as it has a tradition in New Orleans reaching back to 1865, and how well it fits the area. The nutria isn't just a rotten animal, the logo they use is one of those goofy, modern, cartoonish ones I don't care for.

Pelicans has a personal meaning to me as well; my dad was a batboy for the Pelicans in the early 30's when they played in Pelican Stadium at Tulane Avenue & Carrollton Avenue, where the Fountainbleau Hotel was later built.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Well, fellow Tulanian, they couldn't use the Pelicans because Tom Benson, local sports dictator, bought all the rights to that name when he was in competition with Rob Couhig to place an AAA team here. I WISH they used the Pels name along with the colors of red and black with a small amount of blue in it, but the chances of the Z's rebranding at all are slim. Also, Mardi Gras' OFFICIAL colors are Purple (power), Green (luck) and Gold (wealth). What you see on beads thrown during Carnival is called variety. Not all beads are purple, green and gold, they are all different colors. What I DON'T like are the Z's alts where they actually incorporate the elements of the roller coaster. It looks too.....amusement park-ish, even though that's the aim.

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

Well, fellow Tulanian, they couldn't use the Pelicans because Tom Benson, local sports dictator, bought all the rights to that name when he was in competition with Rob Couhig to place an AAA team here. I WISH they used the Pels name along with the colors of red and black with a small amount of blue in it, but the chances of the Z's rebranding at all are slim. Also, Mardi Gras' OFFICIAL colors are Purple (power), Green (luck) and Gold (wealth). What you see on beads thrown during Carnival is called variety. Not all beads are purple, green and gold, they are all different colors. What I DON'T like are the Z's alts where they actually incorporate the elements of the roller coaster. It looks too.....amusement park-ish, even though that's the aim.

You would think that Benson would relinquish the Pelicans moniker, if for any reason to improve his standing in the community (amazing that 18 months ago he was hell bent on moving the Saints and not resurrecting the Voodoo, and now he claims to be the sports savior of New Orleans...)

And you might also think the Zephyrs would consider a name change just to increase the marketability (is that even a word?) of its merchandise. The team has been here for 14 years or so, and other than a color change, the jerseys are the same. They did develop a new logo with the nutria, and everyone does love Boudreaux, but I think it's time for an overall re-branding... and they should use the pelican...

THat said, I am looking forward to these New Orleans baseball concepts....

Archived