MLB Awards Thread

See Red

It's official: Carlos Pena and Dmitri Young were named Comeback Players Of The Year. I thought this was voted on? Either way, 2 for 2. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

It seems like people here have very short memory spans. Sure, amazing Septembers are great, just ask the Rockies. However, these awards are over the entire year, and there are a number of circumstances behind each of them.

AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez, but for the money I paid for this ticket, he needs to be MVP every year (said the ignorant New Yorker who conditionally boos his own team)

AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia, with one less win than Beckett but a better ERA to boot. Plus he has 4 complete games, and he gives the Indians something to look forward to for the first time since the movie Major League (I know, they have done well since then, it was a joke).

AL Rookie of the Year: Dustin Pedroia, for the reason that I'm having a hard time finding rookie-specific stats and he's a favorite for a lot of people

AL Manager of the Year: Mike Scioscia, because the Angels are relevant, but overall, no major surprises in the AL

NL MVP: Prince Fielder, because it's hard to lead a sub-.500 team into playoff contention. Watching this team all year, they have a lot of young guys that needed to be brought together if they wanted to win, and Prince was their leader out there. I agree about Rollins and somewhat about Holliday, but this is just an explanation of the intangible element of MVP voting. My actual vote (if I had one) may change, especially if Prince gets the Hank Aaron award. It may also be a hometown pick, like the original poster's Rockies bias, but that works in conjunction with the fact that I've seen more Brewers games than anyone here and know more about the team than most, and other people pick names at random without knowing about intangibles. For further description of intangibles, see NL Manager of the Year below...

NL Cy Young: Jake Peavy, not because of his bad last night, but because of having 2/3 of the pitching triple crown with strikeouts and ERA (by a mile)

NL Rookie of the Year: Ryan Braun, for the #1 slugging percentage in the National League, and for being the fastest in Brewers history, as well as one of the fastest in league history, to 10, 15, 20, and 30 homers; also he played in fewer games than Pence, Tuliowitzki, etc.

NL Manager of the Year: Doug Melvin, for taking (one of) the youngest, least experienced teams to the post-season, with a no-holds-barred pursuit of wins and losses.

Archived