Pittsburgh 58's

maz

Well, I got a team in the almost resurrected SHL. And they're named the Pittsburgh 58's.

Now let me 'splain:

Name: Pittsburgh was founded in 1758. Simple

Colors: Black and gold was an obvious. they've always been official city colors (were on the crest of the Pitt family, from which the city crest is based on)...however, I wanted to somehow incorporate red to symbolize the British army's red coats at the time. I figured Id use vegas gold...its still gold, and has more of an old-timey feel anyways if you ask me.

Design: I wanted t go old school, obviously. The shoulder triangle design represent the city's shape. Meanwhile everything else is sorta expected. The diagonal Pittsburgh text helps focus on the fact that, somewhat uncommon is sports, at least in north america, the team theme is purely the city itself. I was going for a germanic font (to be seen when I do numbers later, hopefully), not only because it would resemble old English (England), but it would resemble how the city was inhabited by many germans up until sometime during the mid/late 19th century (when the Italians and eastern Europeans, and Irish came in). Oh, and gold pants, just to try somethign different.

Original Idea: It was going to be the Allegheny 57's at first to honor Heinz ketchup company and the old city (Allegheny City) annexed by Pittsburgh in 1907 (now the "North Shore/Side" [home to the mexican war streets and Pittsburgh's Deutschtown]). Then, I moved up an integer and made the meaning behind it different and renamed the location to Pittsburgh.

Without further ado, the unis:

Pgh58ss.png

Also, a larger less-resized (resized some by photobucket) version: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/maz1960/Pgh58s.png

oBIgzrL.png

I thought of that, but it didnt seem right to me. I thought that vegas gold and red gave a more vintage feel. Besides, WBS' jerseys are always just pens jerseys with red added in, so thats not much to compare to in terms of originality when using a certain color scheme.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived