A new league for a new sport

mantleisthebest7

Hey yall,

Its been a while since Ive posted anything on here because 1) my computer sucks and 2) well, my computer sucks. Anyway I'm the younggun around here (15 going on 16) and I am an avid thinker and designer as well as a student-athelete. So of course I am a huge sports fan whose mind is attached to the world of sports, whether its getting up at 5:30 for two-a-days or thinking up concepts on my free time. This concept, however, is completely different than any of my others. I'm trying to come up with a new sport, and of course i'm gonna think up a league to go with it. The sport is still being worked on, though. Which brings me to my first part of the concept. I have a couple ideas that i'm mulling over, but I think I'll need some outside help. Here are the two ideas as listed (no names for the sport yet)

- A baseball-type sport which uses raquetballs, bats, and field dimensions are smaller and differently proportioned than baseball. Rules, of course, would be somewhat similar but different enough to tell apart.

- A rugby type sport that uses a smaller ball (would be smaller than a high school sized football). Tackling, blocking, all the fun stuff! Scoring system would be different than football and rugby (havent figured that out yet), score by catching or running with possesion of the ball in the endzone, NO kicking the ball unless in a 4th-down - type situation. Forward laterals, backward passes, handoffs, are acceptable at any time. Play is whistled dead when player in possesion of the ball is tackled or out of bounds.

As you see, Ive put more thought into the rugby type sport, but only because it is more complicated. I would like you guys to tell me which sport you like the best and which one you would like to see a concept for.

Now, for part two. I have made some teams for this new league, and I'd like you guys to give me any comments, ideas, or critizism on the names (sorry, no logos yet). Oh, and these will be placed in an American League/National League type format, meaning they wont be sorted by West or East like the NBA and NHL. I havent placed these teams in thier leagues yet though. That will come sooner. They are, however, in divisions.

I must add, if the rugby-type sport is chosen, some teams will have thier name changed to a "FC" type name, like FC Dallas, for example. It won't be FC, but you get it.

Here they are -

Western

Salt Lake 47's (named after 1847, when pioneers first settled into the Salt Lake Valley)

Colorado Aeros (named after plane and Fort Collins Air Force Base, where the Air Force Academy is located)

Phoenix Stars (named after the design on Arizona's state flag, with the star and sunrays)

Seattle (no name as of yet)

Los Angeles Bears (After the bear on the California state flag - logo will pay tribue to it)

San Diego Waves (obvious)

South

Kansas City Marshals (IDK just sounded cool)

Houston Metros (One of biggest cities in the US and has "ros" on the end to keep to its space "heritage" and will avoid confusion with Mets. A bigger way to shorten Metropolitans.)

New Orleans Pelicans (This was hard I cant think of much that accosiates with No other than Mardi Gras but that would be too hard so it is named after the state symbol.)

Atlanta Transpos (After history of transportation in Atlanta, which was once a major transportation stop. Transpos is short for Transportationists (if that's even a word))

Dallas (no name as of yet)

Midwest

Milwaukee Bolts (I cant remember what it is after but it is a good reason)

Chicago Cyclones (after the nickname "Windy City")

Minnesota Polarises (after "North Star State" Polaris is another name for the North Star)

Cleveland (no name as of yet)

Detroit Dragons (another one I thought sounded cool)

East

New York Empire (after "Empire State")

Philadelphia Independence (obvious)

Washington Presidents (also obvious)

Boston Indians (after Boston Tea Party when Sons of Liberty dressed up as indians)

Miami (no name as of yet)

Montreal (no name as of yet)

Possible expansion or relocation possibilities

Tampa Bay

St. Louis

Vancouver

Toronto

Memphis Kings (already picked out a name - after Elvis, The King)

Indianapolis

Well, there you have it! It might be quite a while before I post again, but it will eventually come. Lemme know what you think!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Your rugby game sounds a whole lot like football, just saying.

For the teams, I don't like Atlanta Transpos, when I see that I think of Trespassers or Transexuals which isn't a very good name. Don't lke the Presidents either. Maybe Liberty or Freedom.

I love Memphis Kings, you should make that a regular team.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Midwest

Milwaukee Bolts (I cant remember what it is after but it is a good reason)

Chicago Cyclones (after the nickname "Windy City")

Minnesota Polarises (after "North Star State" Polaris is another name for the North Star)

Cleveland (no name as of yet)

Detroit Dragons (another one I thought sounded cool)

Is Milwaukee Bolts an alliteration to our unpredictable weather? The endless summer construction? Our industrial history? The Milwaukee power tools logo?

Wouldn't be my first choice for a nickname, but I could definitely live with it.

How bout the name Blues for Cleveland?

And one last anal-retentive suggestion... could you rename the division to either Northern or Great Lakes? The actual "midwest" is states like Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska... basically the old Big 8 territory. The names I suggested fit much better for a division of teams from Big Ten country.

Archived