Terry Frei's article on Trapnsplant Fans

rmackman

I believe if you move somewhere you should still hold allegience (sp?) to your old hometown team, however, you should also support your new local team. If you want to become part of the community that's one way to do it. Why would you move somewhere and NOT want to become part of the community? That's why I pull for Wisconsin teams AND Florida teams. Lucky for me they rarely play each other. I guess in the case of NY vs FL it's a bigger issue b/c they always play each other.

What? No.

I'll take my abuse for showing up to games wearing the "wrong" jersey, thanks. Fortunately, I'm never alone. Sabres fans show up in droves. Doesn't mean we hate this place.

There are plenty of ways to become a part of one's new community. Adopting the local sports teams might be one way, but it's not necessary by any means. There are plenty of locals here that didn't adopt the team when the team got here, why should I do it just because I moved here?

Besides, my team and this team have a pretty good rivalry brewing. Cheering for both would be a conflict of interest.

Same thing with college sports. I didn't follow college sports back home, I'm not going to start now just because the ACC is king here.

Yes. I completely agree. Very much so. If I move to, say, Cleveland (for reasons I don't feel like explaining this is a decent possibility), there's no way in hell I'm becoming an Indians fan. Or a Browns fan. Or a Cavs fan. Or even a Monsters or Gladiators fan. (Grand Rapids Griffins and Rampage baby. Besides, the Monsters are an Avs affiliate. Ewww.) You can, however, bet your ass that I'd be there if the Tigers, Lions, Pistons, Griffins, or Rampage are in town, and I'd respectfully and non-obnoxiously root for my teams. I am very proud of being a Detroit native, and that means retaining my original fandoms.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

I believe if you move somewhere you should still hold allegience (sp?) to your old hometown team, however, you should also support your new local team. If you want to become part of the community that's one way to do it. Why would you move somewhere and NOT want to become part of the community? That's why I pull for Wisconsin teams AND Florida teams. Lucky for me they rarely play each other. I guess in the case of NY vs FL it's a bigger issue b/c they always play each other.

What? No.

I'll take my abuse for showing up to games wearing the "wrong" jersey, thanks. Fortunately, I'm never alone. Sabres fans show up in droves. Doesn't mean we hate this place.

There are plenty of ways to become a part of one's new community. Adopting the local sports teams might be one way, but it's not necessary by any means. There are plenty of locals here that didn't adopt the team when the team got here, why should I do it just because I moved here?

Besides, my team and this team have a pretty good rivalry brewing. Cheering for both would be a conflict of interest.

Same thing with college sports. I didn't follow college sports back home, I'm not going to start now just because the ACC is king here.

Yes. I completely agree. Very much so. If I move to, say, Cleveland (for reasons I don't feel like explaining this is a decent possibility), there's no way in hell I'm becoming an Indians fan. Or a Browns fan. Or a Cavs fan. Or even a Monsters or Gladiators fan. (Grand Rapids Griffins and Rampage baby. Besides, the Monsters are an Avs affiliate. Ewww.) You can, however, bet your ass that I'd be there if the Tigers, Lions, Pistons, Griffins, or Rampage are in town, and I'd respectfully and non-obnoxiously root for my teams. I am very proud of being a Detroit native, and that means retaining my original fandoms.

Well put. I'm a Dallas native with family in Philadelphia, and there is no way in hell I'll become a temporary Eagle fan when I visit. Besides I wouldn't make it past the pretzel stand in a Cowboys jersey at the Linc without getting pissed on, head-butted, spit on...well you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong. Love Philadelphia, great people, great food, great everything....I just won't pretend to be a Phillies/Flylers/Sixers fan when I'm there to appease the home crowd. I grew up in north Texas and those are my teams period, I don't care where I live.

newsig.jpg

I will say this: If I ever get relocated from the great city of Atlanta, I will still be rockin the Falcons red, Hawks navy, Braves tomahawk, & Thrashers light blue in whatever city. I won't be obnoxious, but I'll still be representing my team heartily.

Hell, I've already had some sort of a jumpstart on this by going to Saints games as a Falcons fan. ^_^

Archived