Bowie Baysox Throwback to 1860

BallWonk

The Bowie Baysox are doing an 1860s baseball promotion this Sunday (May 18) against the Connecticut Defenders. Here's the press release: http://www.baysox.com/news/?id=14409

The event includes hosting an exhibition between the Chesapeake and Potomac squads of the Chesapeake and Potomac Base Ball Club (for whom your correspondent tends the second sack) and wearing the uniforms of the 1860 Baltimore Excelsiors (sorry, I have to make this a link):

http://www.baysox.com/news/?id=14409

I'll take some pictures at the game for this thread. (I'm also going to try to win an auction for a game-worn throwback jersey.)

20082614447.png

If you win an auction, make sure you pay with the correct currency of the period.

Buffalo nickels, I believe, are more than acceptable. Currently unsure about Confederate dollars.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

After the game, the Bay Sox will take a ride in the innovative new contraption that's sweeping the nation: the steam-powered locomotive. It's powered by coal, the energy source of tomorrow!

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

After the game, the Bay Sox will take a ride in the innovative new contraption that's sweeping the nation: the steam-powered locomotive. It's powered by coal, the energy source of tomorrow!

Good lord, you mean those steel rails that the Chinee have been putting down all over the countryside is for one of those eyesores? Iron Horse my eye, I'll remain content riding to town in my personal handsome cab, thank you very much.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Good lord, you mean those steel rails that the Chinee have been putting down all over the countryside is for one of those eyesores? Iron Horse my eye, I'll remain content riding to town in my personal handsome cab, thank you very much.

I even hear that may you have to share your cabin with negroes! First they ask for emancipation and now this! What next? Are they going to want to play baseball, too? Madness! Debauchery! [insert old-timey sounding word here]!

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I even hear that may you have to share your cabin with negroes! First they ask for emancipation and now this! What next? Are they going to want to play baseball, too? Madness! Debauchery! [insert old-timey sounding word here]!

Complete flim-flammery of the highest order!

I'm brave, but I'm not even going near the negroes comment tonight. I'm already pushing my luck in the ABA thread :D

*edit: :censored: it.

Why, I don't know why anyone would want one of the coloreds on his team in the first place! Sure, he may be strong as a mule with an endowment resembling a baby elephant's trunk, but his clearly inferior, pea-sized brain would cause him to falter with a flourish while one of our boys hurled the orb for him to hit!

Better those kind stick to a sport more suited to their skills, like boxing, or this one game I saw where they actually bounced a ball, then tried to throw it into a peach basket! Can you believe it?

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'm brave, but I'm not even going near the negroes comment tonight. I'm already pushing my luck in the ABA thread :D

Why, I don't know why anyone would want one of the coloreds on his team in the first place! Sure, he may be strong as a mule with an endowment resembling a baby elephant's trunk, but his clearly inferior, pea-sized brain would cause him to falter with a flourish while one of our boys hurled the orb for him to hit!

Better those kind stick to a sport more suited to their skills, like boxing, or this one game I saw where they actually bounced a ball, then tried to throw it into a peach basket! Can you believe it?

I'm black, I'm laughing out loud, so, at least with me, you're good.

"endowment resembling a baby elephant's trunk"=comedic gold

For the kids, I'm not trying to say "large" so much as "Grey with two holes in the end."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

For the kids, I'm not trying to say "large" so much as "Grey with two holes in the end."

Shhhh...don't reveal our secret.

I've seen enough Big Black D***s going into Tiny White A***s to know more than a few of the secrets, my friend.

Manatees. You people are hung like manatees. I merely resemble one :(

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I've seen enough Big Black D***s going into Tiny White A***s to know more than a few of the secrets, my friend.

Manatees. You people are hung like manatees. I merely resemble one :(

Well...that's a new one. I gotta remember that.

*offers up respect knuckles as he pours a 40 of Coke Zero on the ground in honor of his fallen libido*

Just remeber the Eighth Ghetto Commandment "Thou shalt spit mad game at any shawty who be peepin' you." Trust me, you'll be fine. Or charged with sexual harassment. One of the two.

*offers up respect knuckles as he pours a 40 of Coke Zero on the ground in honor of his fallen libido*

Just remeber the Eighth Ghetto Commandment "Thou shalt spit mad game at any shawty who be peepin' you." Trust me, you'll be fine. Or charged with sexual harassment. One of the two.

I understood the "sexual harrassment" part. The rest is all eBonics to me.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I understood the "sexual harrassment" part. The rest is all eBonics to me.

You need an Ebonics textbook. I found one (not that I really needed it) at a tag sale in Oakland. A sample:

"He works on Tuesdays."

"He be workin' Tuesdays."

"He has had that job for a long time and still has it."

"He been had dat job."

"He's about to go to work."

"He finna go to work."

I hear the Republican Party is nomination some guy from Illinois. I hear he's a rising star in the political ranks and could very well change the landscape of the Union.

I saw, I came, I left.

I hear the Republican Party is nomination some guy from Illinois. I hear he's a rising star in the political ranks and could very well change the landscape of the Union.

OK, I'ma jump in with a uniform story here. I was on the uniform committee three years ago when we formed the Chesapeake and Potomac Base Ball Club to bring vintage ball back to Washington and Baltimore. Most teams recreate a single, specific team, but since we were trying to form a sort of regional organization, and since at the time there weren't other teams locally to play, we decided to do create a single team to represent both Washington and Baltimore. So that meant we couldn't just be the Lord Baltimores or any specific team with exact replicas of their jerseys.

Our first decision was to use one uniform with reversible shields for each squad. Then we decided to honor two of the less-famous early teams, the Chesapeakes of Baltimore and the Potomacs of Washington.

Our research turned up a few interesting facts, one of which is relevant to the issue of this Lincoln fellow the damned Republicans have nominated for the presidency. Turns out Maryland was deeply split during the late unpleasantness between the states, with much of the population sympathizing with, and even fighting for, the Southern Confederacy. These Marylanders adopted the red-and-white cross of the Crosland Arms as their state banner, while those loyal to the federal union adopted the black-and-gold check of the Calvert arms as their state banner. After the issue was resolved, red remained the political badge of anti-union and anti-negro defiance in Maryland for some time, until the state adopted a combination of the Crosland and Calvert arms as the state flag.

All of that led us to discard our original plans for red and white uniforms in favor of blue and yellow. (Blue from early press accounts and illustrations of various Washington clubs, including we believe the Potomacs, and yellow from similar accounts of early Baltimore clubs, several of which were nicknamed the "canaries" for the yellow in their uniforms.)

20082614447.png

Archived