Minnesota Twins Concept

pflava

I appreciate where you're going for here, but as far as the actual execution you've shown us, all you've done is combine the worst individual aspects of Twins uniforms from their entire history in Minnesota into one package of dreadfulness.

Hey, no need to sugarcoat it. :D

Ugh, that was harsher than I intended. What I meant to communicate was that if the designer had put in more of his own work to clean up these old elements, the concept would be much better. This feels more like a cut-and-paste exercise rather than an original concept, and as such it's limited by the poor quality of the elements that are pasted in. I strongly believe that the concept would be much improved by just a little bit more original work on the part of the designer.

You can't just take a bunch of 50-year-old obsolete jersey scripts, slap them onto a template, and expect to produce anything other than a crappy concept. For the most part, even teams that looked good in 1961 have at least slightly updated their logos and scripts since then. Even the best logos and scripts need periodic updating to "translate" their aesthetic qualities for the public's ever-evolving aesthetic tastes.

Bottom line: I would love to see this designer take a crack at finding and fixing the problems with the old Twins scripts, and then building uniforms around his improved scripts. That could be a great concept.

Actually, I'd love to be able to do a more professional looking, Illustrator quality concept, but I'm handcuffed by the limitations of Paint (hence the minor inconsistencies). All I can really do is copy and paste. And no, I am no designer - that's why I said it's not so much a concept as just the idea of them going back to their original look. I probably should have titled the thread "Minnesota Twins Idea" instead. My bad.

That being said, I disagree about the script being obsolete - I LOVE that old script and tail and always have. And I think it looks better in blue than it ever did in red. And as far as updating/tweaking aesthetic qualities for the "evolving" taste of the public, lets just agree to disagree. IMO, baseball (more than the other 3 major sports) always looks better when it goes classic and old school rather than modern and contemporary. But again, that's just my opinion and I know it isn't shared by the majority here.

I appreciate where you're going for here, but as far as the actual execution you've shown us, all you've done is combine the worst individual aspects of Twins uniforms from their entire history in Minnesota into one package of dreadfulness.

Hey, no need to sugarcoat it. :D

Ugh, that was harsher than I intended. What I meant to communicate was that if the designer had put in more of his own work to clean up these old elements, the concept would be much better. This feels more like a cut-and-paste exercise rather than an original concept, and as such it's limited by the poor quality of the elements that are pasted in. I strongly believe that the concept would be much improved by just a little bit more original work on the part of the designer.

You can't just take a bunch of 50-year-old obsolete jersey scripts, slap them onto a template, and expect to produce anything other than a crappy concept. For the most part, even teams that looked good in 1961 have at least slightly updated their logos and scripts since then. Even the best logos and scripts need periodic updating to "translate" their aesthetic qualities for the public's ever-evolving aesthetic tastes.

Bottom line: I would love to see this designer take a crack at finding and fixing the problems with the old Twins scripts, and then building uniforms around his improved scripts. That could be a great concept.

Actually, I'd love to be able to do a more professional looking, Illustrator quality concept, but I'm handcuffed by the limitations of Paint (hence the minor inconsistencies). All I can really do is copy and paste. And no, I am no designer - that's why I said it's not so much a concept as just the idea of them going back to their original look. I probably should have titled the thread "Minnesota Twins Idea" instead. My bad.

That being said, I disagree about the script being obsolete - I LOVE that old script and tail and always have. And I think it looks better in blue than it ever did in red. And as far as updating/tweaking aesthetic qualities for the "evolving" taste of the public, lets just agree to disagree. IMO, baseball (more than the other 3 major sports) always looks better when it goes classic and old school rather than modern and contemporary. But again, that's just my opinion and I know it isn't shared by the majority here.

I agree with both sides here. yes he could have done more of "his own work" but having the program paint has major limitations. I use the same program and it sucks. I don't know about this guy who made these but I do it just for the heck of it, to see fun ideas and mess around. He took something he liked, updated it a little, and put it on here to get some feedback. This concept isn't to half bad, I personally would like to see the twins do and update or change, maybe not go old school but something. And alot of baseball logos do look better retro styled or old school looking.

"Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough"

Archived