Pictures from 2008 Saints Training Camp

BlueSky

So off we went to Jackson, MS last weekend to see the Saints' training camp. We watched most of Sunday afternoon's practice and most of Monday morning's as well. It's not a fan-friendly experience between the heat, the small fan area with no seating, and the kind of seedy area the college is in, but we had a good time.

Though it was a 'grabshot' - didn't have my camera ready and had to scramble, so the autofocus locked on the nearest tree instead of the player - this first one might just be my favorite because it's so weird. Through a wood I saw a Saint... :D To get to the practice field, the players have to walk up this slope through the woods. Between the setting and the way he has his helmet, pretty funny looking all in all.

IMG_3264.jpg

New arrival Jeremy Shockey:

IMG_3280.jpg

QBs warming up. Note that both backups, Mark Brunell (#11) and Tyler Palko (#3) are lefties:

IMG_3291.jpg

CB Mike McKenzie was technically on the PUP list but that didn't stop him from shadowing last year's #1 pick Robert Meacham on this play:

IMG_3313.jpg

I don't recall Reggie wearing this type helmet in the past:

IMG_3325.jpg

Husker + Sooner = lots o' beef...Carl Nicks (#77, 6-5, 343) and Jammal Brown (#70, 6-6, 313). On some plays these two lined up with Brown at LT and Nicks at LG. That's some blocking power:

IMG_3357.jpg

What looks stranger in this pic, Brees "blessing" the kneeling assistants or Shockey running routes with gloves hanging from his facemask?

IMG_3383.jpg

More to come...

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Great to see Deuce back on the field. Any Saints fan knows what a class act and a warrior this man is. I hope he makes it back again.

IMG_3433.jpg

Reggie makes a catch despite tight coverage by Usama Young. Insert obligatory comment here about the annoyance of mismatched golds. B)

IMG_3496.jpg

Free agent addition CB Aaron Glenn takes on Marques Colston:

IMG_3502.jpg

Shockey hauls in a pass:

IMG_3523.jpg

This is a punt coverage drill where the gunner is trying to down the ball near the goal line. Reggie sprinted up to the gunner and yelled "Boo!":

IMG_3567.jpg

The gunner drills are fun to watch. Here a gunner is taken on by DBs Aaron Glenn (#31) and Kevin Kaesviharn (#43):

IMG_3587.jpg

New MLB Jonathan Vilma:

IMG_3610.jpg

More...

Robert Meacham runs the mechanical gauntlet:

IMG_3343.jpg

Veteran David Patten makes a catch in front of Usama Young:

IMG_3485.jpg

Did I mention that 7th rounder Adrian Arrington was impressive? Here's a series of him coming off the line, getting separation from DB Aaron Glenn, and making a great diving grab:

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

And finally I present undrafted free agent OL Brian Stamper out of Vanderbilt. Why? Because he has at least one fan, and that's me.

The setup at Millsaps College is really kind of crappy for the fans. There's no seating at the lower field and the fan area is very small and only runs from one end zone to the opposite 40-yard line or so, and you're sitting on a grassy area atop about an 8-foot retaining wall. They run all their goal-line stuff at the far end so you can't see much. After practice, there's no set area for players to sign autographs and it's tough for them to sign anything at the field because of that wall, though some do. Any others have to leave the direct path to the locker room (orange pylons in the background of the pic) and cross about a hundred yards of open field to where the fans are kept behind a rope along a gravel path.

After sitting in 100-degree heat for 3 hours, some die-hard fans - among them my 5-year-old grandson - were waiting patiently in the hopes some players would come over. Drew Brees signed stuff at the field, but we missed him, having been told that the best chance to get an autograph was along the gravel path. One player - one - took the trouble to cross the big field in the heat and sign some autographs, and that was #62. I had to check the roster to figure out it was Brian Stamper. Now I understand that it's got to be a rush for an undrafted free agent to stand in front of an excited crowd in an NFL uni and sign autographs. And I also understand that it was mofo'n hot and the players were exhausted and wanted nothing more than a shower and some fresh clothes. Still, for the money they make, is it too much to ask for a few minutes? So Brian Stamper was the guy who saved me from having to explain to my grandson why none of his heroes could be bothered to spend some time with their fans.

It's almost certain that "the Turk" is coming for Brian Stamper. I hope not. I hope he somehow defies the odds. But whatever his future holds, he has one fan who sincerely appreciates the fact that he made the effort to spend some time with kids who otherwise would have left very disappointed. They at least got one signature and got to be up close to a Saint.

So thanks, Brian Stamper. Hats off to you:

IMG_3627.jpg

So off we went to Jackson, MS last weekend to see the Saints' training camp. We watched most of Sunday afternoon's practice and most of Monday morning's as well. It's not a fan-friendly experience between the heat, the small fan area with no seating, and the kind of seedy area the college is in, but we had a good time.

Though it was a 'grabshot' - didn't have my camera ready and had to scramble, so the autofocus locked on the nearest tree instead of the player - this first one might just be my favorite because it's so weird. Through a wood I saw a Saint... :D To get to the practice field, the players have to walk up this slope through the woods. Between the setting and the way he has his helmet, pretty funny looking all in all.

IMG_3264.jpg

This picture sums up most of the Saints history of wandering the forest

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Veteran David Patten makes a catch in front of Usama Young

Ahh, David Patten. Another Patriot who left for a bigger paycheck and was never heard from again....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Some good stuff...I'm surprised to see Aaron Glenn still playing...I remember when the Jets drafted him out of Texas A&M in '94 and he was deemed too small to be successful in the NFL as a CB...

...well 14 years later and he's still going at it...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Veteran David Patten makes a catch in front of Usama Young

Ahh, David Patten. Another Patriot who left for a bigger paycheck and was never heard from again....

Guess it depends on your definition of 'never heard from again'. He made some great plays for the Saints last year and has been invaluable in mentoring the younger WRs. Just because somebody doesn't play for the Patriots doesn't mean they're not having success.

• 2 weeks later...
Some good stuff...I'm surprised to see Aaron Glenn still playing...I remember when the Jets drafted him out of Texas A&M in '94 and he was deemed too small to be successful in the NFL as a CB...

...well 14 years later and he's still going at it...

Deemed by who? The first 11 teams to draft?

Seriously, it's pretty tough to talk about a guy drafted in the top half of the first round overcoming the doubts of everyone in the NFL...

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived