Syracuse Pro Football

TurnTwo

This summer I was awarded my first paying design project. It was for a semi-professional football team to be located in Syracuse, NY.

The team name was to be the Warriors, and my job was to create an identity that honored the area's rich Native-American heritage; particularly the heritage of the Onondaga Tribe. After much research into the Onondaga, an identity package was created. The Native's headband was designed to incorporate the Flag of the Five Nations. Further research showed that each tribe belonging to the Five Nations had their own unique "tecumseh" or headdress. The Onondaga tecumseh consisted of one feather pointing skyward, with the other pointing down.

warriorscclsc.gif

While we tried to remain as respectful as possible, the Onondaga Tribe opposes ANY use of Native American people as a Mascot, no matter how respectful the intentions. In order to avoid any PR troubles the owner decided to go in a completely different direction and chose the name "Snow Devils". He wanted the mascot to be a Sasquatch or Yeti (but not to similar to the logo of the Syracuse Crunch). I based my illustration off of the conventional storybook Yeti (the kind with those weird sideburn things). Below is the identity we settled on:

snowdevilsccslc.gif

In the end, due to poor management the team's deal with the Oncenter among other things fell through and he scrapped any plans to go forward with the team. However, due to the advice of those before on this board, I was not left hung out to dry because we had created a contract that had provisions for such an event. So, in addition to posting these concepts to hear your comments and criticisms, I am also posting them to thank all of you "pro guys" who taught me the importance of a contract.

"I must be butter, because I'm on a roll."

Turn Two Design // Facebook

Sweet, a pro team in the Cuse would be great...I'd be happy to help throw ideas too if you were ever interested. I love Syracuse. Your designs look like they definitely have potential, just lacking that finished quality right now.

I think Warriors would be a great direction to go...Honoring the native american heritage and history, and also throwing a PC version of the old Saltine Warrior days of SU...

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Sweet, a pro team in the Cuse would be great...I'd be happy to help throw ideas too if you were ever interested. I love Syracuse. Your designs look like they definitely have potential, just lacking that finished quality right now.

I think Warriors would be a great direction to go...Honoring the native american heritage and history, and also throwing a PC version of the old Saltine Warrior days of SU...

Thank you for the kind words. I really had hoped to see one of these designs on the field; it's a shame the deal fell through.

How would you recommend I give it that "finished quality"? What is it lacking?

I think it's good for your sake they scrapped the first one TBH. The Yeti is much better, though still doesn't seem like a sports logo. Why does the blue highlight go straight through his mouth? Why is the outline round but the white insideedges mostly pointed?

I think it's good for your sake they scrapped the first one TBH. The Yeti is much better, though still doesn't seem like a sports logo. Why does the blue highlight go straight through his mouth? Why is the outline round but the white insideedges mostly pointed?

Good that they scrapped it for PR reasons, or good that they scrapped it because it sucks?

I was never happy with the Snow Devils identity (what kind of Devil doesn't have horns?)... but alas, it's what the client wanted and liked best.

Good that they scrapped it for PR reasons, or good that they scrapped it because it sucks?

I was never happy with the Snow Devils identity (what kind of Devil doesn't have horns?)... but alas, it's what the client wanted and liked best.

It doesn't suck, I just don't think it works as a professional sports logo. I don't see the human. A little work though and it would be really good IMO.

I see what you mean about the Snow Devils one.

Archived