Arkansas Travelers Unveil New Look...

Brian in Boston

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Turtledove and the alternate history series.....

Good to know I'm not the only fan. Darn, we logo people have lots in common...

Two pertinent logo-related notes to the alt-history tangent:

(1) A while back, I posted (on the "other board") the fact that in the alternate history of the How Few Remain/Great War/American Empire series, football became more popular than baseball (Lou Gehrig is mentioned as a football player). Turtledove mentions a few pro team names: Iowa Hawks, New Orleans Tigers, Seattle Sharks, Los Angeles Dons, and Philadephia Barrels (in the alternate world, the armored vehicles we call "tanks" are called 'barrels').

(2) I'm currently reading an alt history entitled "A Disturbance of Fate" in which Bobby Kennedy escapes assassination and becomes prez in '68. Lawrence O'Brien becomes his right-hand man (chief of staff, I think). So, I'm thinking, that means he doesn't become NBA commissioner-- and I'm wondering-- how does this affect the NBA, expansion in the 70s, merger with ABA, and relocation of the Braves and Jazz?

To end the post, I'll bring it back to the topic at hand-- I still say an Arkansas basebal team name's tie-in to Lee's horse being named Traveler is TENUOUS at best, and that whole cap idea-- novelty or not-- is goofy.

It is what it is.

On the subject of the A-Travs road logo, At one point in time it was the second best logo in the Texas League in terms of sales, Trailing the Wichita Wranglers after they redid their logo. I will be at Big Daddy Dumont on April 8th for the Wranglers and travs season opener, so the Travs new roads will be on display. I will try to get decent Pics of the jersey up close after the game. As for the team name the following information can be found at Travs.com under team history.

THE NAME

The name "Arkansas Travelers" is derived from the famous minstrel known as the The Arkansas Traveler that roamed the Ozark Mountains selling his wares and singing his songs. The team was originally known as the Little Rock Travelers. In 1961, the team became known, as it is today, as the Arkansas Travelers, the first professional team to be named for an entire state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE CAP

The Travelers official game cap is navy blue with a red bill and button. On the front is a red, capital letter "A" with player waving a bat, riding a horse through it. The horse stems from Confederate General, Robert E. Lee?s horse, Traveler.

So the Robert E. Lee connection is confirmed by the team, but since the newer logo was not used until the mid 1990's, One can assume that someone saw the movie Gettysburg and decided to base the new logo after the horse. Even though this says that the Horse and A is the official game hat, I have see the Travs wear the solid red one with the gas station logo used as recently as last year on the road.

93-94canucks.jpg

Archived