Removing a Name Plate on a MLB Jersey

hjwii

Okay, so I bought a Padres jersey on eBay for $20, with Peavy's name and number. The seller claimed it was authentic, but I was skeptical... Afterall, an authentic jersey for $20? I really didn't care, because a) I like the jersey, and B) I can no longer afford $200 authentic jerseys. Thing is, after comparing the seams and construction to my authentic and replica jerseys, it looks real. EXCEPT for the name plate; the letters aren't looking quite right...

Now, I'm not a fan of names on jerseys, but I do like numbers (here's where my "purist" ideals stray a bit). So, I would like to take the name plate off; the stitches are visible inside the jersey for the plate only, and not individual letters.

Riddle me this: can I simply take one of those stitch remover gizmo thingie and pull it off? Can I tell if there is adhesive before trying to remove said name plate? And if there is adhesive, should a professional remove it, or can it be done with normal household items (like vinegar and draino and peanut butter combined)?

Thanks for the insight....

hjwii

You can probably tell if there is adhesive by simply pinching the name plate from the outside, and the jersey from the inside, and pulling a little bit. If they seem to separate, then there is likely no adhesive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived