Rebranding the MLB: Part 10

elliott

Overall, as a whole, this to me is a look that would be ideally suited for one of the Pirates' minor-league affilitates--it has that "bold, edgy, playful" sorta look many minor league teams have.

That's not to say it's not a good design, because, based on its own merits, it's one of the better Pittsburgh Pirates concepts I've seen, if not THE best.

Right off the top, though, I really don't care much for the skullhead logo, but that's chiefly due to my own little vice that skulls with rags tied to their heads are not necessarily indicative of "true" pirate imagery. No knock on you, though, as the logo itself is actually very well rendered. As for the rest...

I don't really feel that the little slash-marks in the first and last letters of your wordmark are necessary--a little needless clutter. The actual wordmark itself though is pretty well-rendered. You might look at tightening up the kerning between the first and second as well as next-to-last and last letters of your "Pirates" script mark (I ain't lost you, did I?)--justatadbit too much black space in there. While on that topic, you might want to also look at extending the bottom curve (bowl?) of the "P" down so that it is on the same arc with the rest of the letters in the middle of your script marks--it looks a tadbit weird in current guise. Either that, or match it to the middle of the "S", if you catch my drift. (My typography terminology vocabulary is not up to snuff today.)

I do like how you've manipulated the current Pirates' typeface (does anyone know the actual name for that typeface, anyway?). I can't really say for sure whether the yellow numbers would look good against a gray background, but I really couldn't say for sure until I see it in action in real life. Oh, and before I forget, is the placket on the black jerseys supposed to be gray? If you meant it like that, I'd suggest undoing it and making it solid black. The yellow sleeves are an interesting touch, though.

Overall, I'll give you a pretty high "B" on this. Nice work, cat. (And, like I been saying, your work has been definitely getting better over time. This is yet the latest evidence of such.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived