Rebranding the MLB: Part 10

elliott

mlb-rebrand-bar9.gif

SEA | TB | BAL | MIA | ATL

ANA | COL | CLE | TOR

2 weeks off and I'm back.

I worked on my presentation a little bit during the "layoff". Just to make it less boring. I don't really know how this concept will go over, I don't know what I think about it myself. But here it is anyway.

I took the general idea of an alternate logo they had, but I created a new skull, and got rid of the polka dots off the "doo rag". I kept the baseball bats as well to keep the skull and crossbones effect, along with a wordmark above it with slashes to represent, like, sword slashes I guess, which matches the slight slashes on the skull.

I have seen a few people use this font for concepts lately, but I thought it worked especially for the Pirates.

The jerseys attempt to make the yellow the focal point. Yellow is always surrounded black so it doesn't blend with the white. Including the numbers, which is new. The sleeveless makes a comeback, because I liked it. The alternate is a little different as there is no white, and the undershirt is yellow.

Obviously I did this before McClouth got traded.

Pirates2009.gif

Pirates2009jerseys.gif

So, tell me what you think.

First off, I love the new wordmark. That is definitely my favorite part of this concept, but the slash marks are kind of unnecessary and clutters it up IMO. I like the idea of using the skull, but it just seems odd the way it is smiling. I don't know, I'm probably just used to seeing their current snarling Pirate and that makes this looks weird. On the jerseys, I'm a big fan of reverting back to the vests, my only gripe is the alternate. I prefer the Bucs go without the vest on the alternate because the yellow sleeves just seem odd to me.

Overall, this is solid work again- not too many major problems with this one.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Love it! It's fantastic. That logo may not fly because of the smile and glee :D, but it still looks great. I think it works, and it is designed flawlessly. The scripts are really nice, and so are the Jerseys. The new presentation template is nice to. Great work, as usual, can't wait to see more.

The top part of the P looks too blocky compared to the downward curve. The pirate itself looks too cheerful and smiling. The scripts look squished in the middle, and the R looks funky, but I like the slashes in the primary, whole logo. I love the idea of making yellow a focal point and eliminating all red. Finally, its McLouth, even though he isn't here anymore.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

One of my favorites so far. Love the updated skull and P logo. The slashes on the wordmark in the primary are weird to me because they aren't in the other wordmarks below it. The bats and bandanna are rendered very well.

On the wordmarks, my one gripe is how the black background is completely straight on top and bottom, but the one space is where the P and I meet. It just looks odd to me, so I'd just extend it so it's a complete rectangle.

Well done as always, love the alt.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I like the skull, but I think you could give it a slight snarl. The wordmarks bother me more than anything. They look somewhat squished. The slashes should either be subtle or are texture some around the edges. They are affecting the readability, plus it'd be better to have one wordmark for PIRATES that works in the logo and the jerseys. Also, and maybe it's just me, I think the wordmarks should have an arched look, if only slightly. I like the bigger letters on the ends, but the top looks too blocky. And on to the uniforms, I like the wordmark in yellow, but the numbers should be black. The outline on the numbers is so thick, it looks awkward to me. And as was said before, the yellow sleeves on the black jersey aren't working too well. Finally, how do you feel about the skull on the BP hat? Right now, every hat is the same, and I think you could spice it up a little. And as a side note, you are using two different blacks. You have a rich black on the sleeves of the home and road, and on the alt. jersey (most of it anyway) and a lighter black on the placket of the jersey and the caps. Overall, it's not bad, but it could use some work.

I really like this but there's one thing that's bothering me. The numbers with the black outline just seem way too busy. It looks cluttered on the back. I would suggest maybe toning down the outline a bit or maybe simplifying the numbers a bit. Other than that I love it.

g4104.png

Thanks for the comments.

Updated logo....

Pirates2009-2.gif

-Gave the skull more of a sideways grimace (the original was not really intended to be smiling, but more just what an actual human skull would look like)

-arced the wordmark a little

-slashes on the wordmark are smaller and in a different place

I think you've aced the Pirates' wordmark here, very very good job. The "smile" still bothers me a little, it just doesn't look that great to me. As for your jerseys, the vests actually don't look all that bad. I really like the alt and a yellow bp jersey is cool also. The 3 looks a little strange on the back of the jersey. Keep it up it's really cool you are doing all original stuff here, I am anxious to see what you do with traditional teams like the Yankees and Red Sox!

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

Great update, the script looks a lot better. Will both be like that when you get around to a jersey update? I still think that you have to work on the smile/snarl look on the skull though.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

This is definatly one of the best concepts you have done in this series, to be honest I dont have any problems with it really, I love the updated wormark, and the jerseys are awesome, I actually like the Black Vest w/ yellow sleeves. Anyways, Great Job!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Great work with the Buccos, but I'm not quite feeling the new lettering as an improvement over their current and classic set. Also, the yellow lettering and numerals might be hard to read from afar, which causes the black outlines to be too thick. It's definately top-notch work, you're just trying to improve upon one of the better and more historical looks in baseball, so it's kinda tricky. Still, looks really good.

BTW, it's "McLouth". ;)

Logo update 2

Pirates2009-3.gif

Ok, this update again works on the smile, this time it is turned downward, like bohob was saying about the arcs to the upper and lower portions. I included the full logo package, I added slashes to the P, and added the Pittsburgh wordmark. One thing I will say about the wordmarks: you will notice that I toned down the black serif outline, compared to the originals.

The updated P logo looks great, as does the scripts. My only problem is still the skull. The snarl looks fine to me, but I think he needs some sort of eyebrow or something. I know it sounds funny (having an eyebrow on a pirate) but looking at any logo with a "snarling" or a mean face, they all have the eyebrows that are tilted in like this emoticon- :mad: That's the best example I can think of right now. I might look odd, but I think you can pull it off.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Archived