3-point line in 1968?

mkwing

This is from way out there, but....

I tuned in to ESPN Classic today and caught an episode of "Sports Challenge," an old-time game show from the early '70s. (It would be GREAT for ESPN or someone to bring the thing back, IMHO.) Format was a simple "College Bowl"-style Q-and-A, festuring historic clips from sporting events.

There was a clip of a Warriors/Hawks game from 1968. (A treat to see the Warriors' gold uniforms.) The action shots, of the Cow Palace, featured a court with a definite curved line painted where the 3-point arc is seen today.

I know there was no such thing as a 3-point line in the '60s. What could this line have been?

This is from way out there, but....

I tuned in to ESPN Classic today and caught an episode of "Sports Challenge," an old-time game show from the early '70s. (It would be GREAT for ESPN or someone to bring the thing back, IMHO.) Format was a simple "College Bowl"-style Q-and-A, festuring historic clips from sporting events.

There was a clip of a Warriors/Hawks game from 1968. (A treat to see the Warriors' gold uniforms.) The action shots, of the Cow Palace, featured a court with a definite curved line painted where the 3-point arc is seen today.

I know there was no such thing as a 3-point line in the '60s. What could this line have been?

There was such a thing. If the court was used for ABA games as well (no idea if it was or not in this case), it would've required a 3-point line.

However, outside of that, I have no idea. Volleyball lines on a basketball court aren't curved...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the NBA experimented with a 3-point line in exhibition games long before they actually adopted it. I know for sure that the NBA teams played some exhibition games against the ABA teams, but I'm not sure if any of them took place in 1968.

Just tossin' out some possibilities...

Archived