NRL Finals Series on Spike

Gazzzaf

I'm guessing you'll get the Friday night game again (?), which is Parra vs Gold Coast.

Yes, it will be Parra vs Gold Coast because it's scheduled to air Friday night at 11:00pm Eastern. http://www.spike.com/show/33783

I wonder if Americans have grasped the McIntyre Final Eight playoff system yet? ^_^

I had to do a good bit of reading up to figure out what the hell that was all about. It's a interesting system, to be sure, and I understand the arguments both for and against it.

I still think the AFL system is better, but that's just me. I like the idea of the matchups being predetermined prior to the start of the competition rather than finding out when all of the games are done.

The AFL finals system is based on League's old top 7 (and to a lesser extent, the even older top 5) format back when the NRL was the ARL if I remember correctly. The NRL shouldn't have left it....

... On the other hand, and I'm biased here, I believe that League has a superior product for overseas markets, particularly in the US. As I mentioned before, league is rugby with some commonalities with (American) football, making it easier to adapt to a game with no such ties.

Got a little off the beaten track there.

I'm not all that familiar with the seven-team playoff system the ARL used. I view the AFL final eight system as an extension of the four team Page-McIntyre Playoff which I'm familiar with because of curling. Despite my preference to Australian rules, I think league would be more suitable (not so much superior) product than Australian Rules overseas just because most fields are rectangular, unless it's a country where cricket is popular.

Americans would at least see commonalities between football and league like the "downs", the field markings. One thing would confuse the uninitiated is that rugby (league and union) focus more on field position than American football which more about possession. (Notice how after every try in rugby it's not the team that scores that kicks off, it's the other team.)

Side note: I just found out something interesting: that the UK Super League uses a similar system to the AFL, with one addition: The top team with the bye can select their opponent in week three.

I saw, I came, I left.

I'm not all that familiar with the seven-team playoff system the ARL used.

1997 ARL Top 7 System:

Week 1

Minor premiers Week off

2 v 3 AT Teams 2 Ground

4 v 5 AT Teams 4 Ground

6 v 7 Sudden Death AT TEAMS 6 Ground

Week 2

(GAME A) Minor premiers v Winner of 2 v 3 GAME PLAYED AT MINOR PREMIERS HOME CITY

(GAME B) Loser of 2 v 3 plays Loser of 4 v 5 GAME PLAYERS AT TEAM 2/3 HOME CUTY

(GAME C) Winner of 4 v 5 plays winner of 6 v 7 GAME PLAYED AT TEAM 4/5 HOME CITY

Week 3

LOSER OF (GAME A) v WINNER OF (GAME B) GAME PLAYED AT (GAME A) GROUND WINNER GOES TO GF

WINNER OF (GAME A) v WINNER OF (GAME C) GAME PLAYED AT (GAME A) GROUND WINNER GOES TO GF

Week 4

GRAND FINAL

I doubt it would return though, less games = less TV revenue.

Despite my preference to Australian rules, I think league would be more suitable (not so much superior) product than Australian Rules overseas just because most fields are rectangular, unless it's a country where cricket is popular.

Americans would at least see commonalities between football and league like the "downs", the field markings.

I would also say that League is more suited for television because of its compact nature, tv is generally the way someone is introduced to a new sport, especially a foreign one. Conversely AFL is a better spectator sport being far more spread out.

One thing would confuse the uninitiated is that rugby (league and union) focus more on field position than American football which more about possession. (Notice how after every try in rugby it's not the team that scores that kicks off, it's the other team.)

Field position is important, mainly because its difficult to get repeat sets (downs) unless you force an error or tackle them in goal (similar to a safety but no points awarded). Interestingly, when there was a split competition in 1997, Australian Super League adopted a system where the scoring team kicked off. It only lasted a year though.

Side note: I just found out something interesting: that the UK Super League uses a similar system to the AFL, with one addition: The top team with the bye can select their opponent in week three.

That was adopted this year or last year, its an experiment at this stage. What I like is that the minor premiers get their choice of opponent with the possibility of it backfiring (motivation for opponent to aim up, especially since most of the chaff is sorted out by week three).

sig.png

The Top 7 system was flawed from the outset. Week 2 Game A was pointless as neither team was eliminated and both played at home the following week for a grand final spot. All it did was allocate the opponents, which could backfire for the winners if they get a hot team on a late season tear.

liverpool-1.png

Archived