2010 World Junior Hockey Championship

Korbyn

What a game that was. The Swiss tied it up with 32 seconds left in the 3rd and won it with about in the dying seconds of OT. I loved how the crowd got behind the Swiss. I was actually more excited with that game than the Canada-US game.

It seemed like nothing could top last years Canada/US game, then shockingly this years game was better.

Then it seemed like nothing could top last years upset of Slovakia over the US, then the Swiss changed that as well.

What a tournament!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USA defeats Sweeden 5-2.

Gonna be a barnburner Tuesday night.

Canada will attempt to get revenge for their 2004 Gold Medal Loss ... U.S will attempt to get revenge for, well, every loss that has come after.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Before the tournament started I was worried that who ever won group B would be the favourite. By having 4 of the 6 'hockey powers' I thought the winner would be sharp and ready to go. It looks like group A was really the tougher group. Canada and the USA are on the top of their game and both deserve to be in the Gold Medal game. Switzerland fought hard, and could have chance at grabbing Bronze if they play a disciplined game against Sweden.

1zqy8ok.gif

Before the tournament started I was worried that who ever won group B would be the favourite. By having 4 of the 6 'hockey powers' I thought the winner would be sharp and ready to go. It looks like group A was really the tougher group. Canada and the USA are on the top of their game and both deserve to be in the Gold Medal game. Switzerland fought hard, and could have chance at grabbing Bronze if they play a disciplined game against Sweden.

I don't even know if Canada earned it's way in.

They have only had one tough opponent, the U.S., and they were really sloppy against them. Every other team had about two - three tough opponents.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I don't even know if Canada earned it's way in.

They have only had one tough opponent, the U.S., and they were really sloppy against them. Every other team had about two - three tough opponents.

I disagree. 3 of the 4 semi-finalists were from group A. Both Sweden and Russia didn't make the semi-finals. According to history, sure Switzerland isn't a tough opponent, but on merit earned in this tournament they're better than 4 of 5 teams in Group B, and Canada beat them (twice).

1zqy8ok.gif

Watching this bronze medal game makes me hate this tournament more and more.

You'd have preferred to have the Swiss lose to the Russians just so this bronze-medal game might be closer?

You'd have preferred to have the Swiss lose to the Russians just so this bronze-medal game might be closer?

No because Sweden would have probably beaten the Russians by 3 or 4. It's obvious the Swiss, Slovaks, Latvian's whatever, can throw all they have at the ''Hockey Powers'' and it still won't be enough. Something about the format or development of the junior programs needs to be changed.

EDIT: This game is just crazy 10-4 Sweden.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

No because Sweden would have probably beaten the Russians by 3 or 4. It's obvious the Swiss, Slovaks, Latvian's whatever, can throw all they have at the ''Hockey Powers'' and it still won't be enough. Something about the format or development of the junior programs needs to be changed.

Now the Swiss coach still won't make a goalie change after the poor kid is getting hung out to dry have some sympathy.

Disparity is going to exist in any competition. The Thunderbirds, this year, are one of the worst teams in the Western Conference of the WHL but I certainly wouldn't want them to just not play because their skill level isn't the same as a Calgary, Vancouver, Saskatoon or Portland. And upsets happen and make that game much more exciting. I know I was certainly rooting for the Swiss in both that game and this one.

Losing is part of development. Otherwise, what you're suggesting would be a 4-team round-robin tournament of Sweden, Russia, Canada and the US. An International Memorial Cup, as it were. I know I'd much rather stick with the status quo.

Under one hour until the Gold Medal game.

I have a feeling this one will be even more memorable then the last two times these teams have met.

Oh how they spoil us!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Refs call a brutal goaltender interference with 3 minutes to go to spur another 2-goal Canadian comeback. Now they'll play winner takes all sudden-death OT until it ends.

Incorrect. One 20-minute OT then to a shootout.

Overtime procedure in Play-Off Games:
  • In case of a tie at the conclusion of regulation time ina Quarter Final, Semi Final and Bronze Medal Game, there will be a10-minute sudden-death overtime period played, following a three-minuteintermission.
  • The teams will defend the same goals as in the third period.
  • The team, which scores a goal during this period is the winner.
  • Inthe Gold Medal game there will be a 20-minute sudden-death overtimeperiod, following a 15-minute intermission during which the ice will beresurfaced.
  • The teams will change ends.
  • The team which scores a goal during this period is declared winner.
  • Ifno goal is scored during the sudden-death overtime, there will be GameWinning Shot (GWS) competition («shootout») according to the sameformula as stated above under Game Winning Shots Procedure.

Refs call a brutal goaltender interference with 3 minutes to go to spur another 2-goal Canadian comeback. Now they'll play winner takes all sudden-death OT until it ends.

Incorrect. One 20-minute OT then to a shootout.

Overtime procedure in Play-Off Games:
  • In case of a tie at the conclusion of regulation time ina Quarter Final, Semi Final and Bronze Medal Game, there will be a10-minute sudden-death overtime period played, following a three-minuteintermission.
  • The teams will defend the same goals as in the third period.
  • The team, which scores a goal during this period is the winner.
  • Inthe Gold Medal game there will be a 20-minute sudden-death overtimeperiod, following a 15-minute intermission during which the ice will beresurfaced.
  • The teams will change ends.
  • The team which scores a goal during this period is declared winner.
  • Ifno goal is scored during the sudden-death overtime, there will be GameWinning Shot (GWS) competition («shootout») according to the sameformula as stated above under Game Winning Shots Procedure.

I stand corrected. I figured a break meant they played a 20-minute OT, and I figured that being the case they didn't do a shootout. In any case, I'd be really surprised if they played 20 scoreless minutes.

Archived