Memorabilia!

JayJaxon

A lot of us love to look at and buy sports memorabilia. I love to see old jerseys programs or even tickets and newspapers. I recently came across a gold mine of high-resolution images that I would like to post every now and then. The images are everything you can probably imagine that is sports related. The great thing about these pieces of history is that most of it has a story to go along with it. I am going to be posting a few things to get the thread started then I would like to open it up for others to post memorabilia they have come across and want to share. I know we have a thread dedicated to rings, but if anyone wants to show those off, it would be pretty cool.

WARNING: Some of these images are very large. But you can really see every last detail for some of this stuff. It's really cool and I want to start showing some of this off so here it goes:

1920 Cleveland Indians American League Champions Pennant

It was a season of tragedy and joy in Cleveland in 1920. In mid-August, shortstop Ray Chapman was struck by a Carl Mays fastball to the skull and never regained consciousness, dead at age twenty-nine. But six weeks later, still wearing black armbands at their left sleeves in memory of their fallen comrade, the Tribe would vanquish the Brooklyn Dodgers to claim the franchise's first ever World Championship.

1920_Indians_Pennant.jpg

The Official Charles O. Finley Baseball

Quirky former executive for the Oakland Athletics Charles O. Finley was known for his penchant for wild publicity stunts to bring attention to his ballclub, and the Official Charles O. Finley Baseball was no exception. In 1973, Finley suggested that a prime innovation for baseball would be his patented orange baseballs, an idea he believed would increase visibility at night. The idea died quickly, as hitters found it too hard to pick up a ball's spin due to the lack of contrast between the orange of the ball and the red laces.

1973Baseball.jpg

Interesting to see how many times that sweater has been stitched up when you look closely at it. I am guessing they were used and abused quite often back then instead of just going into the equipment room and grabbing another one.

Good stuff, can't wait to see more!

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

1996 Shaquille O'Neal Game Worn All-Star Uniform

The most dominant big man of his era sported this full uniform at the forty-sixth edition of the NBA All-Star Game, played in his childhood stomping grounds of San Antonio, Texas. Though Michael Jordan would take home MVP honors, it was Shaq who posted the highest point total, twenty-five to Jordan's twenty, in an eleven-point victory over the Western Conference.

Shaq_Uniform.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1920's Jim Thorpe Game Worn Helmet

Though Thorpe's exploits on the gridiron have become the stuff of folklore, making it impossible to calculate the ratio of fact to exaggeration, there is no question but that he was the most talented football star of his age. The stories of his halftime drop kick field goals from the fifty yard line to entertain the fans may not be gospel, but his three World Championships with the Canton Bulldogs certainly are, and when the National Football League was founded in 1920, it was Thorpe who was chosen League president by the charter members.

Parallels could accurately be drawn between Thorpe and his iconic baseball contemporary Babe Ruth, each a "diamond in the rough," emerging from the reservation and the orphanage respectively, to establish themselves as the greatest talents (and gate attractions) of their day. Each also met his end too soon, as a result of unhealthy living, and this factor plays a key role in the survival of this historic relic.

A 1991 notarized letter from the man who acquired this helmet from Thorpe explains that it was purchased at the Hall of Famer's family tavern in Henderson, Nevada in 1948 or 1949. He described the building as a converted World War II Quonset hut. "Sadly, Mr. Thorpe was a very poor man and more than willing to sell his memorabilia," the man writes, "sometimes without regard to the buyer's intent. He just plain needed the cash. He told me it was a helmet he had used as a pro, although he couldn't recall the exact year or team he used it with."

This thing sold for nearly $18,000 at a recent auction.

Jim_Thorpe_Helmet.jpg

1996 Shaquille O'Neal Game Worn All-Star Uniform

The most dominant big man of his era sported this full uniform at the forty-sixth edition of the NBA All-Star Game, played in his childhood stomping grounds of San Antonio, Texas. Though Michael Jordan would take home MVP honors, it was Shaq who posted the highest point total, twenty-five to Jordan's twenty, in an eleven-point victory over the Western Conference.

Shaq_Uniform.jpg

This is a monstrosity. You'd have to be nuts to buy this and display it. It would bring down your property value!

Archived