Hartford, CT's UFL Franchise Announces Name

Brian in Boston

Colonials is just an awful awful name. It doesn't abbreviate well. Saying it quickly becomes a problem as it ends up being a jumbled, "clonls" and then you have the issue with the actual meaning of the name.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the city of Hartford own the "Whalers" moniker. I'm not suggesting this team use it, but I would prefer the "Football Whalers" to the "Colonials.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the city of Hartford own the "Whalers" moniker.

Unless the City of Hartford is holding and administering said trademark rights under another name or names, no.

* The trademark registrations for Hartford Whalers, New England Whalers and Whalers are currently all listed as "DEAD" with the United States Patent & Trademark Office.

* The trademark registrations for New England Whalers and Connecticut Whalers are currently listed as "ABANDONED" with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.

* The trademark registrations for Connecticut Whalers and the "Pucky the Whale" logo are currently listed as "LIVE" with the USPTO and registered to New England Sports Group, LLC.

* The trademark registrations for Hartford Whalers and Whalers are currently listed as "REGISTERED" with CIPO and registered to Hartford Whalers Hockey Club, A Limited Partnership.

* The trademark registration for the logo of the Ontario Hockey League's Plymouth Whalers is currently listed as "LIVE" with the USPTO and registered to Compuware Sports Corporation.

Back on topic...

Personally, I'd have named the team in honor of the Reverend Thomas Hooker, founder of Hartford and one of the men responsible for drafting the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut. Can't you just imagine the marketing campaign?

"This Friday night at Rentschler Field, $10.00 buys you all the Hartford Hooker action you can handle!"

They'd have been sold-out every game. Granted, it wouldn't have been the family-friendly crowd the UFL has been targeting, but a buck's a buck. tongue.gif

LOL. True. Colonials is nice IMO and I think they will be blue and yellow, blue and gold, or maybe even green and gold. I think the only team that MAYBE should keep thier colors are the Tuskers.

Archived