Baseball cap repair question..

hjwii

Quick question:

My wife's dog felt the need to ignore his pink kitty doll and play with a couple of my favorite caps. Whilst playing with said caps, he proceeded to chew off the buttons on top. Is there anyway to repair this? Is there a baseball cap button store selling various colors of baseball cap buttons and a device to apply baseball cap buttons?

Then again, probably cheaper to go buy a new cap... but they're so well worn and seasoned...

Thanks,

hjwii

Quick question:

My wife's dog felt the need to ignore his pink kitty doll and play with a couple of my favorite caps. Whilst playing with said caps, he proceeded to chew off the buttons on top. Is there anyway to repair this? Is there a baseball cap button store selling various colors of baseball cap buttons and a device to apply baseball cap buttons?

Then again, probably cheaper to go buy a new cap... but they're so well worn and seasoned...

Thanks,

hjwii

This is weird because I finally worked up the nerve to embark on a cap button project last weekend, and I live in St. Amant, about 45 minutes down the road from you. Must be a Louisiana thing.

I don't know about a place that sells buttons. But if you've got some old caps around, especially those you don't really wear any more, you could try taking the buttons off those if they're close to the same color and then super-gluing them on to the cap on which you want to place it.

I swapped some buttons off some caps because I thought they would look better. It can be a risky move, but I practiced on a couple of older caps (caps that didn't fit or I didn't wear too much) before I went to the caps where I really wanted to make the switcheroo. I've been wanting to do it for years but I was always scared I'd ruin my caps. But I bought a staple remover for something else Saturday. The staple remover was a bust for its intended project but it was the tool I figured I could use for the button project later that night.

I used the staple remover on the caps to take the buttons off, then used the super glue to put the other button on. You have to be careful when taking the buttons off. You want to get the remover edge under the button. The buttons tend to fly in the air once you get them to come off. Be careful where you hold the cap, too, because my Nike caps have three low, metal button holders, but my New Era caps had a single, metal button holder. When you super glue the button, just put glue in the spot where the button is supposed to go, and glue the underside of the button. Let it sit for a few hours.

My favorite was taking a navy blue Astros cap that had a blue button (like the 1980s/90s caps) and putting an orange button in its place (like the 1960s/1970 caps). I used an orange Astros cap that had gotten too tight (I do have a newer orange cap that I wear now). Watching the Astros throwback night (even though they screwed it up with current black helmets and undersleeves) inspired me to finally do the project.

Here's what my Astros cap looks like before and after the switch

hou93.jpg (BEFORE -- That's a photo off the Mickey's Place Web site where I bought the cap last year. The cap looked identical to this picture before I took the button off)

4523024407_fca6ec9217_m.jpg (AFTER)

I did some other caps too, and I was pretty happy at how they turned out. I started to put them on here, but that made the post even more long-winded. The point is that super glue will do the trick if you have buttons, and if you need buttons, try taking them off some caps you don't really use any more that could be close to the color of the cap that needs the buttons.

Good luck!

Archived