Portfolio Update

Mings

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey guys,

So I'm doing my 3rd year portfolio update and have made a few revisions to it. The cover is simplified to have just one large image, logo and year. I also went to one main accent color along with black and white. I have some questions on going back and making some changes to older drawings to match the graphic style of the newer ones. Also what do you guys think are the 4-5 strongest projects (which ones do you like best). That will help me get a consensus and pare it down to send out.

Thanks in advance and enjoy! Looking forward to the comments and suggestions.

portfolio.jpg

portfolio2.jpg

portfolio3.jpg

portfolio4.jpg

portfolio5.jpg

Hey guys, I added a poll to make it easier in case you don't want to publicly say which ones you think are best. I'd like to get some C&C on this. I'm very interested in what the opinion of the community is, as this isn't just targeted towards architects/academia, but the general public as well.

I love the orange as a callout and as an arresting back cover. I absolutely don't love it as a page background color with black text on it. That's huge. I don't even want to look at those pages. Very uncomfortable on the eyes. I don't mind it so much as the background of a map or floor plan, but it's not working behind the photos and it's not ideal behind black text.

On those orange pages, you also might want to think about either bleeding those large images off the page or binging them in a little, letting them breathe a bit either way. Some of them seem very confined because they are so close to the page edge.

Some of your text flows all the way across the page. This is a big no no, as it make it very difficult to read, especially when your eye needs to jump to the next line. This is compounded by the fact that the page is horizontally composed. You've got to do columns in that situation, and try for an average of about 12 words per line, ideally.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Definitely see what you are talking about there Andrew. I'll see what white text does with the page and make the changes you suggested. I'm thinking if I full bleed the pics it will help.

Edit: Do you think the orange I was using would be better?

Yeah, the brighter orange that I was using. Previous Portfolio Thread

Also it was brought up that with all of it being red (its PANTONE Red 032 C 75%) that the projects blend together, so I'm thinking about adding a second color to help separate the projects out.

I'm working on revisions right now, and you are definitely right about doing the text as a column, it works so much better.

I've done a little bit of updating on the pages, but wanted to run a cover revision by you guys. I simplified the cover a little more, and received a suggestion that the back cover grabbed you more than the front, so I worked with that a bit.

Front Revision with Photo

portfolio2.jpg

Front with Color/Line Drawing

portfolio3.jpg

Back Cover

portfolio4.jpg

Also I have a survey on Surveymonkey.com if you don't want to do it here....

Punch and pie when you complete survey

Archived