Hyannis Mets become the Hyannis Harbor Hawks

Ben Schwartz

Not sure how many Cape Cod Baseball League fans there are here and this happened a little over a month ago but I figure I'd post it anyways. In the increasing line of CCBL teams who have changed their name from an MLB name to an original name, the Hyannis Mets switched their name and logo too.

Their old logo was:

hyannismets.jpg

Their new logo is:

hawk.JPG

The only teams left with MLB names are the YD Red Sox, Harwich Mariners, and the Bourne Braves. The MLB bitched out on the CCBL and made every team that wanted to use MLB names take them off their jerseys and merchandise. The one team, however, that worked a deal with the MLB is the YD Red Sox. Due to their deeply rooted tradition in Massachusetts, the YD Red Sox struck a deal with the MLB which requires them to get their jerseys directly from the Red Sox produced by Majestic. The only difference is that for some reason the numbers are lower on the back and their is a "YD" sewn on the sleeve:

xIMG_4931.jpg

Not wanting to be constricted at all, the Chatham A's became the Chatham Anglers and the Orleans Cardinals became the Orleans Firebirds. Now Hyannis is the Harbor Hawks.

I really hate their new logo and think it is so poorly done I can hardly believe it. It's basically a cartoon, not a logo. I feel like for whatever they paid, they could have gotten a much better logo. You'd think for the tradition of this league and the importance of merchandising (games are free admittance), they would have done a little better than this.

Last year Chatham from A's to this:

anglers_logo_11.jpg

Orleans went from Cardinals to this:

firebird1.jpg

Those are at least passable. While not great, they don't look as trash as Hyannis.

doctorwhozimmermansmall.pngeastdillon.png

walt.png

I'm torn on this. While I always thought the Hyannis Mets were a terrible name the Harbor Hawks are just as bad. The logo is terrible as well. Just a bad rebrand, it makes the CCBL look cheap.

So are the Harwich and Bourne gonna have to change their monikers? How long has MLB given similarly-named clubs to change their identities?

Basically what Harwich and Bourne did is take "Braves" and "Mariners" off of their jerseys. Home and away jerseys say "Bourne" and "Harwich" on them respectively. None of their merchandise has the actual team name on it, just the town. So basically they are within the rules, they just don't have much freedom with merchandise and their uniforms.

doctorwhozimmermansmall.pngeastdillon.png

walt.png

So are the Harwich and Bourne gonna have to change their monikers? How long has MLB given similarly-named clubs to change their identities?

Basically what Harwich and Bourne did is take "Braves" and "Mariners" off of their jerseys. Home and away jerseys say "Bourne" and "Harwich" on them respectively. None of their merchandise has the actual team name on it, just the town. So basically they are within the rules, they just don't have much freedom with merchandise and their uniforms.

Thanks for the explanation, Ben. Also answers my question as to why Bourne's home jersey read "Bourne" when I attended a pair of games at Doran Park last summer.

Archived