Home Brewing Logo Help *UPDATED 1*

Sport Billy

Here's my idea.

I'd like to name my home brewing "Fleur de Lis Brewing Company"

I was thinking of creating a logo in which I use hops and grain (wheat, barley) to make the Fleur de Lis.

Here is a very rough concept.

FleurLogop.png

I'm looking for ideas before I try knocking something out.

Suggestions?

I definitely like the underlying concept, as it's very unique. I'd say take what you have and really simplify, maybe even reduce to only two or three colors. Possibly get rid of the outlines and just go with the absolute basic shapes (think the wheat in the current Milwaukee Brewers logo).

Also, I could see the "Fleur De Lis" Arching with the "Brewing Company" in a smaller font within the arch.

As of right now it looks like a decent illustration that has potential to be a great logo.

Suggestions?

First thing I'd do is take the whole thing and reduce it down to about 40% and see what happens. Why 40%? Cos I reckon that's about the actual size you'll probably use the logo in about 90% of the places you'll ever use it. What will happen? The name will be darn near illegible it'll be so small, that's what.

You seriously need to redress your proportions, right now you're giving all the emphasis to what is illustration or effectively just filler and totally ignoring the important part which is the NAME of your company. Spend time finding a decent font, if you have to buy something unusual then do it it'll be worth it. Then modify it slightly and create something truly unique. Creating a quality piece of typography for the name first will strengthen your whole identity package far more than a well drawn wheat sheaf. There may be situations where you need to use the name on it's own without any adornments so it CANT be the weakest part of the design it has to be able to stand on it's own two feet. It needs to be a logo in it's own right. If you take away everything else and all you're left with is Times New Roman, or any other font which anyone else in the world has, which they could use recreate your logo in 30 seconds then I'm sorry your identity has failed.

Address the text first make it unique to you, then if you still feel the need to place some kind of scroll work and background behind it, which would probably be a good idea, you can and it will also allow you to be less detailed with that part of the design as well which will be to your benefit. Good typography is a skill, and not everyone has it, if it's not something you feel comfortable doing then I'd suggest finding someone who is to do it for you, because to get the best out of an identity like this the type needs to be strong and it needs to be unique but more importantly (unlike it is in the current design) it needs to be the FOCUS of the design and not an afterthought placed over an illustration.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Suggestions?

First thing I'd do is take the whole thing and reduce it down to about 40% and see what happens. Why 40%? Cos I reckon that's about the actual size you'll probably use the logo in about 90% of the places you'll ever use it. What will happen? The name will be darn near illegible it'll be so small, that's what.

You seriously need to redress your proportions, right now you're giving all the emphasis to what is illustration or effectively just filler and totally ignoring the important part which is the NAME of your company. Spend time finding a decent font, if you have to buy something unusual then do it it'll be worth it. Then modify it slightly and create something truly unique. Creating a quality piece of typography for the name first will strengthen your whole identity package far more than a well drawn wheat sheaf. There may be situations where you need to use the name on it's own without any adornments so it CANT be the weakest part of the design it has to be able to stand on it's own two feet. It needs to be a logo in it's own right. If you take away everything else and all you're left with is Times New Roman, or any other font which anyone else in the world has, which they could use recreate your logo in 30 seconds then I'm sorry your identity has failed.

Address the text first make it unique to you, then if you still feel the need to place some kind of scroll work and background behind it, which would probably be a good idea, you can and it will also allow you to be less detailed with that part of the design as well which will be to your benefit. Good typography is a skill, and not everyone has it, if it's not something you feel comfortable doing then I'd suggest finding someone who is to do it for you, because to get the best out of an identity like this the type needs to be strong and it needs to be unique but more importantly (unlike it is in the current design) it needs to be the FOCUS of the design and not an afterthought placed over an illustration.

9erssteve

Thanks. I couldn't agree more.

The image above was not my attempt at the logo rather, something I threw together in a few minutes to express the notion of using the hops and wheat to create the fleur de lis.

I just grabbed a font as a place holder.

JNutini - thanks great tips.

Suggestions?

9erssteve

How is this for the Name and Text?

NamePlate4png.png

Archived