3D Helmet Background Concept For My High School

dhamen0420

Hey guys I originally posted this in a different thread, but I felt I was starting to hijack the thread so I continued it over here. Anyways I work for a high school and I wanted to create something unique for them. Huge credit goes to Davidson and his awesome 3D helmet templates!

fnlwhitmervslimaseniorm.jpg

Someone suggested a different font, anyone have any good ideas? Also each game we have a title that goes with it, i.e. "Homecoming", "Senior Night", etc. I want to add a banner or something similar to show that but not something that makes it all look to busy, any ideas?? Thanks guys for the help, this is my first concept so all suggestions are appreciated.

"Roll Along"

few things:

- you could play about with the passes to reflect some of the light and give the helmets the feeling that they are reacting to the light in the image.

- any in lens flares would sit in front of the helmets rather than behind.

- your text blocks the lights which looks odd.

- you have light coming from many different directions rather than from each light and behind the text.

I played around with it a little bit more. I didn't use a lens flare because I didn't want to overpower the helmets in the front. I am not 100% how to make the light "bounce" off the helmets, but again I kind of want them to "pop" out. Honestly Davidson I think your template does a great job of absorbing/bouncing the light off the crown but I am sure you are referring to a specific function. I am still working on a way to make the text work, what I have is the idea I am shooting for but I am sure there is a cleaner way to make it work. Here is what I have so far.

fnlwhitmervsstfrancismi.jpg

"Roll Along"

I think the problem with both of your concepts is that the FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS is inconsistently blocking the lights i.e. you can hardly see the F but the G in NIGHT is hardly blocking any light at all. I mean I am assuming you did that on purpose but IMO it doesn't look that great. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

Personally I prefer the font you used in the first concept/post. It looks more sleek to me. But with either concept something needs to be done with the lettering and lights.

Is there any way you can shift the font upward and maybe give the letters thin white or gray outlines? Just a thought.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I think the problem with both of your concepts is that the FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS is inconsistently blocking the lights i.e. you can hardly see the F but the G in NIGHT is hardly blocking any light at all. I mean I am assuming you did that on purpose but IMO it doesn't look that great. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

Personally I prefer the font you used in the first concept/post. It looks more sleek to me. But with either concept something needs to be done with the lettering and lights.

Is there any way you can shift the font upward and maybe give the letters thin white or gray outlines? Just a thought.

I appreciate your opinion. I am looking for ways to make it cleaner, but yes that is kind of what I am going for. I guess I will just have to keep playing with the font. Thanks.

"Roll Along"

I played around with it a little bit more. I didn't use a lens flare because I didn't want to overpower the helmets in the front. I am not 100% how to make the light "bounce" off the helmets, but again I kind of want them to "pop" out. Honestly Davidson I think your template does a great job of absorbing/bouncing the light off the crown but I am sure you are referring to a specific function. I am still working on a way to make the text work, what I have is the idea I am shooting for but I am sure there is a cleaner way to make it work. Here is what I have so far.

fnlwhitmervsstfrancismi.jpg

its definitely better.

I appreciate your opinion. I am looking for ways to make it cleaner, but yes that is kind of what I am going for. I guess I will just have to keep playing with the font. Thanks.

Looking at these again a few hours later, I think the top one actually looks better than I initially thought. If you are trying to keep the font in front of the lights, i think the lights are a little too bright in the second one.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I took another shot a cleaning up the background.

fnlwhitmervsfremontross.jpg

Our school has a new video board and they are going to try and use the background as an intro screen. Basically they want to use Aftereffects and have the lights come on, the helmets appear and crash into each other like the old Monday Night Football intro. Should be cool if they can get it done. Everything is in it's own layer and saved in a .psd file so hopefully it can be done.

"Roll Along"

Archived