Website Code Help

Hoopskid

Hey guys, I need some help creating a particular webpage.

I'm not sure how to go about this, so if anyone knows I'd greatly appreciate the help.

I have a folder with JPEG images on my computer that have tags which are used to organize the images.

Usings Windows I can simply choose if I want to view certain tags and it automatically displays images with the respective tags.

Is there a way to somehow create the same thing except have it online, so a website?

Thanks!

So let me try and understand what you are saying. You have images for example and you have them tagged as baseball, football, basketball. Correct? You at this point want to pull up only the baseball images correct? There are various ways you can do this. You could do it simple with buttons added to the page, either constant or drop-down menus that would filter the images. I presume through coding, which I'm not an expert at, you could code it in to filter your images.

So let me try and understand what you are saying. You have images for example and you have them tagged as baseball, football, basketball. Correct? You at this point want to pull up only the baseball images correct? There are various ways you can do this. You could do it simple with buttons added to the page, either constant or drop-down menus that would filter the images. I presume through coding, which I'm not an expert at, you could code it in to filter your images.

Exactly, dropdown menus, buttons w.e but, what coding is the questions?

Each image has several words associated to it and you can select which tags to view and it will show you images of those tags. For example, every red jersey in a league would be tagged RED and then you can select to view images tagged red and it will show you all of the red uniforms.

Exactly, dropdown menus, buttons w.e but, what coding is the questions?

Each image has several words associated to it and you can select which tags to view and it will show you images of those tags. For example, every red jersey in a league would be tagged RED and then you can select to view images tagged red and it will show you all of the red uniforms.

I get what you're saying but I'm a designer who works on a website, and I have a little coding knowledge. What you might try and do is go here: http://www.w3schools.com/sitemap/default.asp and check the forums where the experienced coders might be able to help you. It sounds a lot like sorting in excel, but how to code that into a website, I have no clue. I don't think I've seen that function used on the public side of the website. It might be used for the private side, but I don't deal with that side much, let alone any coding.

It sounds like something where you would set up an xml file for the images catalog, then use javascript & html to sort and retrieve the images based on tags within the xml file.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

There are a lot of ways to achieve these that would be simpler than say, coding a page from scratch. Most open source galleries programs will allow you to tag photos or even simply uploading pictures using blog software, you'll be able to tag each photo and someone could click on those tags to find all of the things named x or y. That's the easiest way to do it if your code knowledge is lacking. Check out some open source tools like Wordpress, Textpattern, Movable Type (which isn't entirely free depending on the license you use...) or even free blog sites like Tumblr or Posterous to see how you like them. Tumblr especially might be an easy to dive in if you're just making a portfolio site, because there are designs out that would work for what you're talking about more than likely and as you dabble and get better, you can always go on your own with it.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I have tried several online album sites, the problem is they offer a limited amount of memory.

I actuaylly downloaded and attempted to install gallery2 which a database gallery on your own webserver, but that didn't go too well.

Another way to do this is by creating a "fake" database by not actually using tags but by creating each webpage based on tags by myself.

Thanks for all the input, I'll have a look at Tumblr an Posterous and see if they work.

Thanks!

Archived