The Next Canadian NHL Franchise

sparkychewbarky

O.K....sorry 'bout the detour.

Should've had logos, unis figured out before starting this topic, rather than figuring them out on the fly.

Anyway, let's get back to my musings on 'Halifax vs. Quebec City', and which should be the next Canadian centre to

acquire an NHL franchise.

I've decided to put a "Deadliest Warrior" spin on this thing...

So, without further delay...

WHO...IS...The Worthiest Franchisor! (what a stretch, eh?)

Challenge III...Logos

I tried my best but, jesus-murphy-on-a-cracker, how do you compete against the iconic, timeless, fleur-de-lis?

My secondary is pretty utilitarian. It depicts all 3 founding groups (scotnadians, Halifax, and Nova Scotia)

on a chieftain circular shield. It's O.K.

My primary is a pretty decent variation of the Nova Scotia flag. However, even though I think that Quebec's

"igloo-with-a-hockey-stick" primary is kinda dumb; the Nordiques logo does have a certain appeal. It's 'been there, done that", so it

IS historic. Hard to fight history, and the iconic fleur-de-lis, so...

In the Logo challenge, the edge goes to the Nords.

dw3.jpg

Next up...Uniforms

I like your work a lot.

The viewer should keep in mind that the igloo is now 40 years old, created in 1972 by a Quebec teen!

Watch this at 13:09 My link

Very few knows the first design did not have red..

Comparing a 40 years old to a fresh nicely made concept may not be so fair IMHO. I myself would vote for your design! The Igloo is a vintage logo now, a new franchise would not use the same logo on regular basis. No question que blue 1980's unis would ba a awesome third jersey.

In the end, I believe the husky was simply a step to modern unis era. I was myself a bit fedup with the 1980's one.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your work a lot.

The viewer should keep in mind that the igloo is now 40 years old, created in 1972 by a Quebec teen!

Watch this at 13:09 My link

Very few knows the first design did not have red..

Comparing a 40 years old to a fresh nicely made concept may not be so fair IMHO. I myself would vote for your design! The Igloo is a vintage logo now, a new franchise would not use the same logo on regular basis. No question que blue 1980's unis would ba a awesome third jersey.

In the end, I believe the husky was simply a step to modern unis era. I was myself a bit fedup with the 1980's one.

Thanks for that bleuet. What a great piece of hockey history.

To anyone checking out this thread, do yourself a favour and watch bleuet's link.

Good luck to nordique nation. I hope you get your team. (after Halifax gets theirs of course)

I hope that a new Quebec franchise DOES use the old igloo logo.

Although I wasn't a big fan of it back when, it has become one of those old classics that just gets better as it ages...

Kinda like a '57 Chevy or AC/DC.

I think of Halifax as a maritime town before I think of it as Scotland in miniature, so I'm not really feeling all the Gaelic imagery. Always envisioned a Halifax team in bright seafaring colors. Maybe life jacket orange and raincoat yellow.

Can't find a good picture of Halifax that backs it up, but St. John's looks like a rainbow threw up:

1079906-Colorful_St_Johns_St_Johns.jpgst-johns.jpg

Oh, here's one of HFX, kinda:

Halifax-colour.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think of Halifax as a maritime town before I think of it as Scotland in miniature, so I'm not really feeling all the Gaelic imagery. Always envisioned a Halifax team in bright seafaring colors. Maybe life jacket orange and raincoat yellow.

Can't find a good picture of Halifax that backs it up, but St. John's looks like a rainbow threw up:

That's a great line admiral, and I can't disagree with you on the brightly-coloured seafaring thing,

but Halifax/Nova Scotia definitely DOES have a celtic/scottish side...

and I didn't choose the Highlander theme for appearances only.

It's an attempt to somehow increase the size of a relatively small Halifax market by hitching it to the large,

and prominent Scottish-Canadian population, which would definitely have a positive impact on certain revenue streams.

Check back when I complete the section on marketing/merchandising.

Maybe I'll get ya "feelin' it" then.

Is coastal Nova Scotia really the highlands, though? Topographically speaking, one would have to think they're actually rather low. If you're going to capture geographic and cultural aspects of the region to put Halifax on a national stage, you have to, you know, get it right. Tying into some sort of Scottish-Canadian pride seems like a questionable move, inasmuch as most English and Scottish Canadians are so tenured and so assimilated into the mainstream that they identify solely as "Canadian," lacking that urge to get all wrapped up in ethnic pride. Of course, I've thought more or less the same about the Germans, only to go to an Oktoberfest and see otherwise normal suburban people start singing and swaying in utterly disconcerting unison, so what do I know, really.

Also, I find traditional Celtic typefaces to be illegible, wretched messes that only make me think of the worst Irish bars I've ever been dragged to kicking and screaming. So I have a bias in that regard.

EDIT: Oh, last note, I'm fascinated by how vividly colored those Atlantic coastal towns are. Can any of our maritimers here explain why in an otherwise drab environment, you see houses and buildings painted bright red, bright yellow, bright anything? Is it to help the towns stand out amidst fog? Is it that fishermen used leftover boat paint on their homes? Just because? I've always found this incredibly interesting, and one of the most defining aspects of the Maritimes.

This has been one of my favorite threads to follow. At my school, a senior research project with measurable impacts on the community is a requirement for graduation. For some people, this is an onerous task, but I've found it to be a really wonderful chance to follow my interests. As a descendant of Highland Scots who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick, I proudly wear my clan tartan and value greatly the heritage of my ancestors on both a personal and communal basis. I've been focusing on Highland roots in Vermont, where the iconic old-timer wears the red-and-black checkers of the Rob Roy tartan, but I see Nova Scotia, and in particular Cape Breton, as excellent models of places where history still lives. In Cape Breton, around 1500 people still speak the Gáidhlig, and many Nova Scotians, like the author Alistair MacLeod, see themselves as distinctly Scottish- Canadian, yes, but Scottish first and foremost. With this in mind, I think that your concept does an excellent job of tying Scottish heritage into an effective sports brand. I love the logo; the St. Andrew's cross and lion rampant echo heraldry and really look sharp. The secondary logo is really nice as well; I like how its shape evokes a thistle. The jerseys are a little cluttered for my tastes, particularly the side panels; the crest is detailed and impressive enough that it can stand by itself, with more subtle, traditional striping to accentuate it, rather than distract from it. Also, I feel like the gold works well in the crest, but not so much in the jerseys. Did you consider putting the saltire on the socks? Great work here- 's math sin gle mhath! Can't wait to see what's next.

scotland_fifasig.png

Is coastal Nova Scotia really the highlands, though? Topographically speaking, one would have to think they're actually rather low. If you're going to capture geographic and cultural aspects of the region to put Halifax on a national stage, you have to, you know, get it right. Tying into some sort of Scottish-Canadian pride seems like a questionable move, inasmuch as most English and Scottish Canadians are so tenured and so assimilated into the mainstream that they identify solely as "Canadian," lacking that urge to get all wrapped up in ethnic pride. Of course, I've thought more or less the same about the Germans, only to go to an Oktoberfest and see otherwise normal suburban people start singing and swaying in utterly disconcerting unison, so what do I know, really.

Also, I find traditional Celtic typefaces to be illegible, wretched messes that only make me think of the worst Irish bars I've ever been dragged to kicking and screaming. So I have a bias in that regard.

EDIT: Oh, last note, I'm fascinated by how vividly colored those Atlantic coastal towns are. Can any of our maritimers here explain why in an otherwise drab environment, you see houses and buildings painted bright red, bright yellow, bright anything? Is it to help the towns stand out amidst fog? Is it that fishermen used leftover boat paint on their homes? Just because? I've always found this incredibly interesting, and one of the most defining aspects of the Maritimes.

Admiral, of course there are no highlands in Nova Scotia...

Just like there's no lions in Detroit, no jaguars in Jacksonville, and no buffalo in Buffalo.

The 'Highlanders' name is a reference to the rich Scottish heritage and history of Nova Scotia; which, by the way, admiral, is latin for 'New Scotland'.

The world-famous 78th Highlanders' home is Halifax. The provincial flag is a 'reversed' St. Andrew's cross with the royal standard of Scotland.

The largest ethnic group in Nova Scotia is...the Scots.

Maybe you're the one that, you know, should get it it right.

You might be right about Scottish-Canadians identifying themselves as solely "Canadian", which would actually further support my concept.

You see...if you, you know, did some research, you'd know that over 5 million Canadians, in the 2006 Census, did identify themselves as Scottish-Canadian.

That real number, according to you, is probably much higher. Thanks for bolstering my case.

You should attend some of the hundreds of Highland Games that take place annually throughout Canada before you make the statement that "Scotnadians" lack the urge to get all wrapped up in ethnic pride.

I should warn you though admiral, that most of these Highland Games take place in, you know, non-highland areas.

Sorry about your luck in Irish bars. They're good people; the Irish.

And your fascination with brightly coloured objects is interesting...

I guess.

This has been one of my favorite threads to follow. At my school, a senior research project with measurable impacts on the community is a requirement for graduation. For some people, this is an onerous task, but I've found it to be a really wonderful chance to follow my interests. As a descendant of Highland Scots who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick, I proudly wear my clan tartan and value greatly the heritage of my ancestors on both a personal and communal basis. I've been focusing on Highland roots in Vermont, where the iconic old-timer wears the red-and-black checkers of the Rob Roy tartan, but I see Nova Scotia, and in particular Cape Breton, as excellent models of places where history still lives. In Cape Breton, around 1500 people still speak the Gáidhlig, and many Nova Scotians, like the author Alistair MacLeod, see themselves as distinctly Scottish- Canadian, yes, but Scottish first and foremost. With this in mind, I think that your concept does an excellent job of tying Scottish heritage into an effective sports brand. I love the logo; the St. Andrew's cross and lion rampant echo heraldry and really look sharp. The secondary logo is really nice as well; I like how its shape evokes a thistle. The jerseys are a little cluttered for my tastes, particularly the side panels; the crest is detailed and impressive enough that it can stand by itself, with more subtle, traditional striping to accentuate it, rather than distract from it. Also, I feel like the gold works well in the crest, but not so much in the jerseys. Did you consider putting the saltire on the socks? Great work here- 's math sin gle mhath! Can't wait to see what's next.

Thanks cruncher.

The sweaters are a work in progress. I really want them to be unique, but you're right, they are a little cluttered.

I think you'll enjoy what I have coming up next...if I ever get time to finish it.

And "slainte mhath" to you.

Nova Scotia; which, by the way, admiral, is latin for 'New Scotland'.

Yeah. I'm not a freaking idiot. Now compose a paragraph that doesn't read like it was written by dfwabel on ketamine.

Archived