My First Logo!

bspinney26

Hi guys, I was a curious onlooker over at Puckdrawn and when the site shut down, I decided it was time to start my own. I'm a full-time Technical Illustrator and this is my first complete logo. I used Fraser Davidson's great tutorial for the presentation. I welcome the C&C, just wanted to introduce myself. I don't know if it's out of school, but if you are interested in the project and would like to join in, you can check out the High School Hockey Project.

Let me know what you think!

holliscavalier5.jpg

Not bad. Not bad at all.

However, I can't help but feel that the face is a little too "bare". There's a lot of open white space in the musketeer's(?) face. Like leggman said, a shadow would improve this, but so would simply thickening up the facial features. The nose and mouth in particular. Also, his hat could stand to be about twice as tall as it is now. It looks like he has a flat head the way it is rendered now.

Other than those two minor nitpicks, this logo is looking pretty solid! Definitely one of the best first logos i've seen. Keep it up man, and keep practicing!

2043050vl19qK6.gif

Not too shabby? it's a definite improvement over the old. Couple things: File > Save For Web and Devices. That should help keep the image size down for online presentation. The other thing is that the colors are a little too intrusive? maybe look at some softer tones that play nicely. Great update, though.

Not too shabby? it's a definite improvement over the old. Couple things: File > Save For Web and Devices. That should help keep the image size down for online presentation. The other thing is that the colors are a little too intrusive? maybe look at some softer tones that play nicely. Great update, though.

I always save for web and devices, but in this case I uploaded the file from its location on my blog. Would the solution be: Upload a smaller (3.5 MB) jpeg to my blog, then point to that web address?

Worth a shot, anyway.

It's a really nice start. It could stand alone as is but, most of the picture is illustration and not logo. The face is spot on but, as others have said, it could use some shadows to give it more depth and make it more into a logo. The ear is a flat slice. If it were mostly shadow, you could add a highlight to give an indication of the ear without having to draw a detailed ear. The hat looks nice as is. The shirt is flat and could use some definition. On the whole, is a refreshing piece of work and I look forward to a revision and more work from you.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

It's a really nice start. It could stand alone as is but, most of the picture is illustration and not logo. The face is spot on but, as others have said, it could use some shadows to give it more depth and make it more into a logo. The ear is a flat slice. If it were mostly shadow, you could add a highlight to give an indication of the ear without having to draw a detailed ear. The hat looks nice as is. The shirt is flat and could use some definition. On the whole, is a refreshing piece of work and I look forward to a revision and more work from you.

Yeah I still feel like I'm a bit paint-by-numbers at the moment. When I am creating something from scratch, I know I have to work on my hands, eyes, and shading, especially. My job as an illustrator is technical and it's a family business, so I learned by fire instead of schooling (I was an English major, haha), so "seeing" the logo before I start drawing is difficult but getting easier. You (Undead) or anyone else is welcome to scribble over a few lines to help me see where the shading should be. I started playing with it, but ended up trashing the progress.

Anyway, my starting point was updating this:

cavalier.gif

Here's a quick start. The light is coming from the top right so I put the shadows in the lower left. You'll see I also thickened up the one eye. I would thicken up all the lines. When I put shadows in, I just approximate where they should be and then I move around the lines until they look good. Good luck.

holliscavalier5.png

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Archived