1969 Saints Video

BlueSky

My first Saints game was the last one of the '69 season, vs. the Steelers at Tulane Stadium, and it's in this video. If you like NFL history at all, this has some interesting stuff. The unis, for one thing; Saints are in their beautiful early "brassy" gold shade (homes and roads are in the video) complete with 50-year NFL anniversary patch and no names on the back (last year before they were required). You also get vintage Eagles unis and the Redskins in burgundy over gold and "spear" helmets.

Some of the field markings are pretty cool, and in the Steelers game, there's something never seen in the NFL any more: a fight. They show it early on but it happened at the end of the game and grew far beyond what is depicted. It turned into a total bench-clearing brawl. Doug Atkins hit a Steeler so hard he crushed the guy's facemask. There was a picture of the helmet in the paper the next day IIRC. And finally, the cheerleaders are pretty hilarious by today's standards but were the norm back then.

The whole thing is worth watching but Saints-Steelers starts at about the 5:56 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGJXDqhWvas&feature=relmfu

I will own both the white and black versions of those '69 jerseys, even if I have to DIY 'em.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That shade of gold. Mmph. Beautiful. Make the pants (not matte) shiny and keep the facemask black and I'm good with it as a alternate throwback.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Okay, I'll admit to a mild case of tunnel vision when it comes to the NFL. B)

But this is history and Saints or whoever, as you said it's fascinating. The video I posted is 1969 Saints Part 2 - in watching Part 1 this morning, I found this. Remember that '69 was the year of the black helmet fiasco. Check out this screenshot, which shows the team even went so far as to get pennants made. I think the black mask is just a limitation of the pennant makers or not wanting the expense of a third color just to show a gray mask.

Fullscreencapture912201283341AM.jpg

Here's a shot from the 1970 video showing they were still painting the end zones at Tulane Stadium in the opponent's colors. I thought they only did that in 1967-68.

Fullscreencapture912201290526AM.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived