ABA #24 ALL INDIAN TEAM

Ez Street

"Doesn't this organization (for the lack of a better word) have three teams in Mexico already?"

"This team isn't in Mexico. It's in New Mexico. Big difference."

I was not asking about the Native Americans team location, gosioux. I was speaking about the league overall as an organization.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Isn't a team made up solely of Native Americans the exact opposite of "diversity"?

Within the team, yes, but within the league, where there might not otherwise be any native americans, no.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dredge this topic up again, but there was a blurb in this week's ESPN the Magazine saying that the ABA team is the first step in a plan by Native American leaders to send a separate Native American team to the Olympics (following the lead of Guam and Puerto Rico having their own teams).

EDIT: I found some stuff here from the Arizona Republic.

It is Ledesma's vision - literally, because he says the Lord laid it out to him seven years ago - to have a Native American team eligible for the Olympics.

He's looked up this stuff and thinks it will work.

"After investigating aspects of our sovereignty, I found out we should be allowed to compete in the Olympics," he said. "Guam, Puerto Rico, Samoa and the Virgin Islands all have their own Olympic programs. The citizens of those countries are U.S. citizens, just like Native Americans are."

Archived