Different NFL helmet types and their chinstraps

csura999

As we all know, there are many different helmet types in the NFL and different helmet companies... Riddell, Schutt... just to name a few. Now, I know certain helmets are all made from different companies, but are the chinstraps applied differently from brand-to-brand or is it generally universal?

158440776.jpg

Generally, they are universal. If the helmet has the high snaps (as most helmets nowadays do). then the top two clips snap on with the straps running underneath the facemask. The bottom two clips snap on just behind the bottom of the ear. Some quarterbacks and skill positions use chinstraps that only connect on the bottom; in that case, one snap is in front of the ear and one is behind. You can see the unused snap on Romo's helmet above. A lot of modern helmets don't have this first bottom snap anymore.

Most all chinstraps are interchangeable, but they offer different things. Some of the cups are hard, some soft, some have gel in them. They are made of different materials, but they all have the same basic design with a few exceptions.

Xenith helmets have chinstraps that are connected to the helmet as part of their "bonnet" system, so you can't do much to change that. The Riddell 360 helmet comes with straps that are a little longer because it's snaps a little farther back on the helmet, and you are supposed to twist the straps for some reason, but otherwise it's the same thing.

I have notice a trend with the newer riddell helmets that the top two snaps are permanently attached. Also one of the shut helmets has the bottom snaps go threw part of the face mask and come back down to connect

I don't know if those permanently attached straps are from the Riddell factory or if that was just a player preference to either screw the strap in or use a non-adjustable, non-removable clamp instead of a snap.

I think that Schutt helmet where the straps could be run throught he facemask is discontinued - that was the Schutt ION 4D; I think they had to kill that one as part of their lawsuit settlement with Riddell for patent infringement. Basically Riddell patented the helmet shell that extends toward your jaw when they brought out the original Revolutions and they wound up suing Schutt over the ION 4D and the DNA because their shells also came forward in the jaw area (but not as far as a Revo). Schutt killed the ION and reworked the DNA shell so the DNA now has a standard rounded shape. Of course you're still going to see ION 4Ds and old-style DNAs out there for a while - until they can't be reconditioned any more.

Archived