Tim Leiweke Takes Reins of Maple Leaf Sports And Entertainment

Brian in Boston

Former Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) President and CEO Tim Leiweke has been hired to fill the same roles with Toronto-based Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE).

MLSE, which is 75% controlled by Rogers Communications and Bell Canada, owns the National Hockey League's Toronto Maple Leafs, the National Basketball Association's Toronto Raptors, Major League Soccer's Toronto FC, the American Hockey League's Toronto Marlies, and the Air Canada Centre. Additional MLSE-owned properties include the Air Canada Centre-adjacent mixed-use development Maple Leaf Square, and three specialty television outlets - GolTV Canada, Leafs TV, and NBA TV Canada.

Leiweke, who will relocate to Canada, will take the helm of MLSE in late June.

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach with this one but it looks like he's got quite the resume.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach with this one but it looks like he's got quite the resume.

Yep. With this, the Rogers/Bell buyout still relatively fresh, and a spot in the playoffs it's definitely an interesting time to be a Leafs fan.

Yep. With this, the Rogers/Bell buyout still relatively fresh, and a spot in the playoffs it's definitely an interesting time to be a Leafs fan.

No question.

Being a bigger TFC fan (of all the MLSE teams) I want to be excited knowing that he played a large roll in bringing Beckham over to LA and thus creating a culture of winning and making that club a destination spot for big name players BUT we've seen big name executive hires before. Starting with Colangelo, moving to Burke and now, Payne with TFC. Each with varying results.

My biggest fear is that this has nothing to do with the current teams and more to do with an attempt to try and bring the NFL to Toronto (as Leiweke was part of AEG's attempt to get the NFL to LA) if that's all this is about then I think MLSE needs to give their head a shake.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived