WHA back on track?

CJR

I didn't realize the Target Center was hockey-compatible; I thought it was basketball-only.

Why couldn't they negotiate with the University of Minnesota and play games at their rink? Seems odd they'd go for a big venue right out the door without examining more feasible options first.

Then again, this is the WHA, so what do I know?

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I don't know if Target Center was built with hockey in mind, but it can host hockey. The Wings and Lightning played one of their neutral-site games there in 1994.

I would guess that the University of Minnesota wasn't an option because they play most of their games on weekends and the WHA team would want those days available but that's just a guess.

More WHA news...

Detroit is scheduled to announce the team name today (expected to be Demons, Cougars or Gladiators).

Reportedly a group interested in putting a team in Winnipeg made an offer to the owners of the Moose. The deal was to be that the WHA group would donate $1 million to Manitoba minor hockey if the Moose would let them use the old Winnipeg Arena. The Moose declined the offer.

The Moose declined it? Who owns (owns-ah :P ) the Winnipeg Arena and for that matter, isn't supposed to be demolished since the Moose are going to the True North Centre?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Reportedly a group interested in putting a team in Winnipeg made an offer to the owners of the Moose. The deal was to be that the WHA group would donate $1 million to Manitoba minor hockey if the Moose would let them use the old Winnipeg Arena. The Moose declined the offer.

I don't know if Winnipeg would support the WHA. It's weird, but we're very much in "NHL or bust" mindset. The Moose get alright crowds, but nothing spectacular. I don't think we could support two minor league hockey teams.

Minor hockey in Manitoba could probably use the $1 million, but the deal is just not worth it.

The Moose declined it? Who owns (owns-ah :P ) the Winnipeg Arena and for that matter, isn't supposed to be demolished since the Moose are going to the True North Centre?

The Winnipeg Enterprises Corporation (pretty brutal website) owns both CanadInns Stadium (formerly Winnipeg Stadium) and Winnipeg Arena. However, as far as I know, Mark Chipman, the owner of the Moose, is either very closely tied to Winnipeg Enterprises, or else has some sort of agreement with them to be the only pro hockey team in their facilities. I know for a fact that Chipman is the driving force behind the True North group (who are building the True North Centre, aka the MTS Centre upon completion).

The most popular plan for the old Winnipeg Arena is demolishing it in favour of building the World's Largest Indoor Waterpark. Now there's an idea I can support.

There just isn't a real emotional connection between the city and the old arena. In our way of thinking, the white-outs were the only thing remembering there, and those were about the people, not the building.

In conclusion, the Moose did the right thing.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I don't know if Winnipeg would support the WHA. It's weird, but we're very much in "NHL or bust" mindset. The Moose get alright crowds, but nothing spectacular. I don't think we could support two minor league hockey teams.

Minor hockey in Manitoba could probably use the $1 million, but the deal is just not worth it.

The Winnipeg Enterprises Corporation (pretty brutal website) owns both CanadInns Stadium (formerly Winnipeg Stadium) and Winnipeg Arena. However, as far as I know, Mark Chipman, the owner of the Moose, is either very closely tied to Winnipeg Enterprises, or else has some sort of agreement with them to be the only pro hockey team in their facilities. I know for a fact that Chipman is the driving force behind the True North group (who are building the True North Centre, aka the MTS Centre upon completion).

The most popular plan for the old Winnipeg Arena is demolishing it in favour of building the World's Largest Indoor Waterpark. Now there's an idea I can support.

1. According to "my sources" (ie. my bosses, who talk openly and freely about things like this in the hallway outside my office), even the Moose ownership are in a "NHL or bust" type of mindset. I think Chipman bought into the Moose knowing full well that if Winnipeg ever got an NHL team back, he'd look like a hero. Plus, with Sam Katz (owner of the Goldeyes) winning the mayoral by-election, believe that getting a big-league franchise back will move to the top of the list.

2. From my other sources (the chief of security at Polo Park mall, the shopping centre right behind Winnipeg Arena), the indoor waterpark is pretty much a go. The city and the mall landlords, Cadillac Fairview, couldn't pass up the chance of something like this happening, without any public money being used. It will apparently contain Canada's largest wavepool, 6 or 7 indoor/outdoor slides (ie. starting inside the building, going outside, and back in again), a hotel and suites, a theme restaurant, and an indoor beach. Sweet!

Welcome to DrunjFlix

OSilverbacks, those two news items have made my day.

You mentioned in another thread Thomas Steen and Burton Cummings are two of your bosses... I might be the only one here who thinks so, but being a Jets fan of the late-80s to mid-90s, and having never been much of a Guess Who fan, I find Steen cooler than Cummings... regardless of that though, do you have any other famous bosses? Where do you work?

How does owning the Goldeyes affect Katz's drive to bring back the Jets? I mean, he'd be a hero in the eyes of all Manitobans for years to come, but would that offset the cash hit he might take when the Jets eat up a big chunk of Winnipeggers entertainment dollars (and as a result, quite possibly a significant chunk of the Goldeyes' revenue)?

I guess the fact that the Goldeyes are summer and the Jets are winter would minimize this, but still... I know I can't afford season tix to both.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived