AirTran Airways

tBBP

Geez...it's hard to believe I'm already nine deep into this series! This is getting REAL good, isn't it?

The first eight concepts I've posted are listed below:

American Airlines

United Airlines

Northwest Airlines

US Airways

Delta Air Lines

Southwest Airlines

Midwest Airlines

Continental Airlines

And now...on to the NINTH installment in this Airline Football League Concept Series. We going back to the ATL with this one here.

But first, as always, the story...

Anyone who knows anything about AirTran knows the history behind this--if they paid close enough attention. Here's what most people don't know: this company was actually a smaller carrier that operated under the name Conquest Sun Airlines, and was renamed AirTran Airways in 1994, which later became part of a new holding company, Airways Corporation. Now, this is the part people DO know: in a former life, this airline was more or less known as the higly notorious--it almost pains me to type this--V-V-V-ValuJet. (OUCH!!!) Actually, it gets just a tad bit more complex than this: you see, after that infamous flight 592 crash into the Everglades back in May '96, the airline was grounded by the FAA and then, for some reason, was allowed to resume flying in September of that same year--albeit with far fewer aircraft--and ONLY after those aircraft along with the airline adhered to new saftey standards put out by the FAA. However, the following year, after all the bad press (deservedly so) pretty much shut down the airline, ValuJet (OUCH AGAIN!) merged itself with (the smaller) Airways Corporation. Come September 1997, Airways Corporation was renamed AirTran Holdings, and ValuJet was renamed AirTran Airways. It was also around that time Joe Leonard, who actually was a former exec with Continental, was installed as CEO. It should also be noted that, although the major base of operations for this airline is in Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, it's HQ is actually in ORLANDO, and has been since its days as...well, what it used to be (I ain't mentioning that name again). The rebirthed airline started operations under the new name (and new management--for obvious reasons) in September 1998. (Now, as to why every important date seems to be in September for these people is beyond me...)

Anyway, through the years, the airline has steadily risen up the ranks in terms of customer service, baggage handling, and service ratings. (They also have XM Satellite Radio too.)

So there's a (very quick) history about that.

Now, on to the livery and concept. What better way to distinguish yourself from your competition than with (what was at the time) a brand-new funky color scheme? Of course, for some reason, the airline doesn't actually use the teal or sand color that much. CSR's, most of the airline's literature and print material, and even their rampers (except for those who've been there for a while) can be found in some variation of either blue, red, or white. And then, sometime last year, I believe, the airline decided to start using 737's again (back during their re-birth, they used older 737's and DC-9's, along with I believe a few MD-80 variants), and along with the new 737's came this new look. Looks great on the 737, not so much on the 717 (it's only other type of aircraft now). So that's what I had to work off of.

I will say this now: the concept may seem a tadbit busy due to all the colors. But, since the blue and red is just striping on the livery, that's what I used it for in these uniform sets, along with the outline on the numbers. Now, as far as the third outfit, I got real stuck on what to do with this one, and after my fourth go at it, I decided to have a little bit of fun with it. Thus, the sleeves on the shirt are blue, to match the engine nacelles on the new livery (and as to why AirTran decided to do that, I haven't the slightest). Also, if you'll notice, airtran.com is written on those nacelles, so I decided to include that, as well. Now, as for the new "swoopy" look, I really couldn't think of too great a way to incorporate that look into the concept, and then it dawned on me: there's a team that plays in Atlanta who has something of a similar "swoopy" look, and so I incorporated the sidestripe/piping of the Falcons into this concept--modified for AirTran, of course. Also, the numerals on this concept are the Falcons' numbers, as well. It's got to be my most--uh, controversial?--design yet, but I figured it was time to push my borders, so what tha hey, right?

Okay--enough talking...time for the unveiling.

In what may be my most daring concept yet (well, until I unveil America West)...AirTran Airways, folks!

Let the C&C commence...

AirTranAFL.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

No ValuJet throwback? C'mon Brooks!

That aside, the color scheme does translate into some really funky uniforms. You might want to think about flipping the red and blue on the sleeve ends, the blue tends to blend into the teal a bit too much. Great use of color on the away uniforms, those ended up looking the best out of the lot.

QPR%20Sig.png

This is pretty good, but I understand you can only do so much with teal/tan. As for the alternate, I think you should have incorporated the ValuJet colors and the livery mascot, "Critter" could have been used on the helmet. They did merge with them.

As for their fleet, most of them are MD-88/Super 80/Boeing 717. Three names for the same plane, but Boeing stoppoed production in 2005, hence the use of the 737.

Maybe at a later time I can gut up enough strength to ATTEMPT a--ahem--Val--uh, yeah...well, yeah--that throwback. But for now, ah...no. Too many bad things associated with the first incarnation of this airline, and a lot of them hit me personally. Without going into detail, let's just say I had not one good experience with the first incarnation, and then two incidents officially did me in--one highly publicized, the other not so widely known, so I'll end that there. Don't mean to jump at at anyone...but yeah--that's why no "throwback"...for now.

The blue and teal do tend to bleed into each other, and I didn't even really notice that until I .png'd this thing and uploaded it. (The Mac I use at school to do these has a SUPER HI-RES monitor, so I can see all the colors real vividly. That may become a problem, though, as I'm already noticing a few color disparities--like the teal and sand in this concept. Just slightly off--but unless you got a real good eye, you wouldn't even be able to tell.) I may go back and fix that at a later date. Or actually--maybe later this week.

About that 717 thing...yeah, McConnell-Douglas got bought out by Boeing, so they basically assumed the MD-80 models as their own. BUT...the 717 and MD-88 are actually two quite different models. The 717 is a variant of the MD-80 family. It's a bit shorter than the MD-88, and it's powered by Rolls-Royce engines (which are actually wider and just a bit shorter than the MD-80 engines). Much cleaner plane, too. I did a lot of work with Midwest's 717s out at PIT, which is how I came to know that airline, aside from those Fairclild-Dornier 328JETs they use(affectionately--or appropriately--nicknamed "the S***box" by us out at PIT).

Either way, AirTran done DEFINITELY came up since they were re-born. I'm even a frequent buyer now (more so out of necessity--read:CHEAP!), so there you go.

I appreciate the comments, though. And I see I've got one seriously devoted fan of this series, too. (That would be you, Mouse "James" Fitzgerald. :D)

Any more C&C...come with it! (Pondering unveiling my America West concept later this week...speaking of "funky design"...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

As for their fleet, most of them are MD-88/Super 80/Boeing 717. Three names for the same plane, but Boeing stoppoed production in 2005, hence the use of the 737.

Um, no, a Super 80 and 717 are NOT the same plane. That's like saying a 737-200 and 737-900 are the "same plane" - they're both 737's but there's not a lot of similarity after that.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

As for their fleet, most of them are MD-88/Super 80/Boeing 717.  Three names for the same plane, but Boeing stoppoed production in 2005, hence the use of the 737.

Um, no, a Super 80 and 717 are NOT the same plane. That's like saying a 737-200 and 737-900 are the "same plane" - they're both 737's but there's not a lot of similarity after that.

I take it you work/used to work in the industry too, huh? Good to see I ain't the only airline nutcase in this community! Which airline, if you don't mind me asking? If you worked mainline for ANYONE, you are one lucky dude; my entire 3 years was split between GAT Airline Ground Support and DAL Global Services--or DGS for short (better known as Delta's Ground Slaves).

thanks for doing air-tran. good job, except for some reason it reminds me of dentists...

it ticked me off the last time i went on an airtran flight. it was the first time i had been on airtran since they installed xm on the plane, and mine didn't work! i was furious, probably because my previous flight was delta/song, and they have those sweet entertainment centers in the back of each seat with movies and radio and directv.

ok i'll shut up now. good job, anyways. america west's probably gonna look rather interesting as well...

458345eaff17a1237.png

458346630fe2186b2.png

thanks for doing air-tran. good job, except for some reason it reminds me of dentists...

it ticked me off the last time i went on an airtran flight. it was the first time i had been on airtran since they installed xm on the plane, and mine didn't work! i was furious, probably because my previous flight was delta/song, and they have those sweet entertainment centers in the back of each seat with movies and radio and directv.

ok i'll shut up now. good job, anyways. america west's probably gonna look rather interesting as well...

...and it'll be up next.

You know, I've noticed myself that sometimes AirTrain's XM jacks don't wanna work right. But I think I might know what the problem is-the headphones. Each and every time I've had an issue with their XM with the headphones they issue, I've switched them out with my own and had no issues after that--except for the in-flight anouncements, which can get VERY ANNOYING when you're listening to something GOOD, and you just jammin' along, noddin and hummin in your seat, and then..FLIGHT ATTENDANTS, LANDING CHECKS...or HELLO FROM THE CABIN AGAIN...or something like that. But I know, I know, you can't win them all...

My America West concept, as I said, is next in line to be shown. Yes, I know the airline doesn't exist on its own anymore, but that was just TOO SWEET AN IDENTITY to pass up. And then, after that, I believe will come something along the lines of this...not an easy one to tackle, and you'll see why when comes time to unveil that one. (And after doing that concept, I can see how tech ops people can make some serious cheese...)

America West..coming next. Song...up soon.

STAY TUNED! (And keep the C&C coming...)

Archived