Uniforms for the tri-cornered baseball game?

Anubis2051

For those who are unfamiliar:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/1944-ny-baseball-teams-faced-support-war-effort-article-1.1787483

tricorner-program-Dodgers-Yankees-Giants

Once upon a time three teams met on hallowed ground in Manhattan and played one another in a single nine-inning game for New York baseball bragging rights before 50,000 fans....

...The Giants, Dodgers and Yankees came together that day for an exhibition to raise money for the war effort. The results were unprecedented in so many ways. There were to be three ceremonial first pitches by Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia (though a sore arm limited him to one). The event raised $5.5 million in war bond purchases. And the final score was Dodgers 5, Yankees 1, Giants 0.

While I've been able to find plenty written about the game, I haven't heard what uniforms these teams wore. I would assume that the Giants wore white, with the Yankees and Dodgers in gray - but does this mean that the Yankees and Dodgers played each other while both were wearing gray? Is there another instance of this in baseball? Or is this bizarre game the only time this has ever occurred? Am I wrong? Did all the teams wear white? Or gray? Any help with this is appreciated.

Anubis.png

Ooh, I remember my dad telling me about this. He's a big baseball officianato and I distinctly remember him telling me when I was little about this game and how unusual it was. I do know that there are some games that are played like this at times, such as in senior softball games (source: my dad who has played in aforementioned senior softball games). In professional baseball, however, I can't think of another instance where this has happened - at least in the modern era. With regards to uniforms, I think it's safe to assume that the Giants didn't have the cream-colored primaries back then like they do today (or rather they did but so did the Dodgers and Yankees). I feel like they would've worn their road greys which would've lead to a confusing inning between the two. After some research, I can't find anything on the jerseys worn during the game, so I can't exactly help you there. It's a very good question that I'm sure someone with a lot more experience and knowledge could answer better than I did.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Archived