Blackburn Rovers Finally Release New Home Kit...

ColeJ

0,,10303~372575,00.jpg

looks like they've dropped the navy blue accents, and lightened their royal blue to a more traditional "rovers" blue...

blackburn has gone semi-retro... i like it :) can't wait to get my hands on one.

Lonsdale, what is that, where did kappa go? Is Lonsdale a local company, is this a trend, teams having their own company that does only their uniforms like Athletic Bilbao, Portsmouth, Southampton...

I can't say I dislike it, but nothing special, plain...

i'm not british, so this may not be the most accurate response... however, over at brfcs.biz, a rovers forum i frequent, lonsdale is a fairly popular brand of clothing, mostly for the 20-something crowd. very trendy british fashion label...

but i know them best as a boxing company... they make boxing equipment, and apparently a wide array of popular british clothing.

kappa chose not to renew the contract with blackburn, i believe... so they went with the deal that offered them the most money (as a club like blackburn isn't in a position to be overly choosey) and that just happens to be lonsdale.

while this shirt isn't overly special or unique, you've gotta forgive them. blackburn without the blue and white halves is like the yankees without pinstripes, or croatia without checkerboard... since that makes blackburn keep the same general idea for all their shirts, they really only have 2 choices. go with a trendy nike-still bib design, or go simple, traditional, and old school. i think they made the right decision.

i really like the the way the red piping looks on there... and with a more traditional "rovers blue" color, the uniforms remind me of a nordiques soccer cross-over, almost.

rumors around blackburn say that the away shirt is going to be red again, with black sleeves... with brad friedel's goalkit being yellow most of the time, unless they play a team with a yellow road shirt, in which he'd wear purple.

Lonsdale, what is that, where did kappa go? Is Lonsdale a local company, is this a trend, teams having their own company that does only their uniforms like Athletic Bilbao, Portsmouth, Southampton...

I can't say I dislike it, but nothing special, plain...

i'm not british, so this may not be the most accurate response... however, over at brfcs.biz, a rovers forum i frequent, lonsdale is a fairly popular brand of clothing, mostly for the 20-something crowd. very trendy british fashion label...

but i know them best as a boxing company... they make boxing equipment, and apparently a wide array of popular british clothing.

cole has hit the button pretty much on the head here. Lonsdale is most famous for boxing equipment, but has fairly recently produced more fashion clothes. Obviously they want to expand and what better place than into soccer.

Interestingly Blackburn Rovers are the only English league soccer team who have never changed the basic design of there shirts. They have always since they started worn blue and white halves! Everyone else has made some changes along the way!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm glad they ditched the navy blue trim. That just didn't work for me.

Plain seems to be the new trend... Look at the new Spurs kit--stark white and navy. Even the new ManYoo kit is rather plain compared to the mid-90s stuff.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Interestingly Blackburn Rovers are the only English league soccer team who have never changed the basic design of there shirts. They have always since they started worn blue and white halves! Everyone else has made some changes along the way!

not surprisingly, i did not know that. i knew Arsenal had worn red shirts til teh mid 30s, Leeds used to wear gold and blue and Crystal Palace had once worn claret and blue, but that was the extent of what i knew.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

not surprisingly, i did not know that. i knew Arsenal had worn red shirts til teh mid 30s, Leeds used to wear gold and blue and Crystal Palace had once worn claret and blue, but that was the extent of what i knew.

manchester United used to wear yellow and green halves back in the late 1890s, when they were astill caled Newton Heath. They brought that back as a road kit a few years back- didn't last long!! They also wore white shirts with a red 'v' on them. (Don't worry won't go through all the teams!!)

Southampton have always been red and white but it started as red and white quarters. And they had a plain red shirts for a time in the 1980s. (Go Saints!!!)

Leeds have changed there kits a fair bit, but settled on all white by copying Real Madrid. And Juventus used to wear pink (yes pink!) until the team owner saw Notts County play in there black and white stripes and decided it was time for a change!! (And again Juve brought ought the pink as a road kit ofr a while a year or two back!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

And Juventus used to wear pink (yes pink!) until the team owner saw Notts County play in there black and white stripes and decided it was time for a change!! (And again Juve brought ought the pink as a road kit ofr a while a year or two back!)

I saw one of those pink Juve shirts in a shop here a while back. *shudder*

Didn't Everton wear pink and black road shirts a few years ago?

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

manchester United used to wear yellow and green halves back in the late 1890s, when they were astill caled Newton Heath. They brought that back as a road kit a few years back- didn't last long!! They also wore white shirts with a red 'v' on them. (Don't worry won't go through all the teams!!)

Southampton have always been red and white but it started as red and white quarters. And they had a plain red shirts for a time in the 1980s. (Go Saints!!!)

Leeds have changed there kits a fair bit, but settled on all white by copying Real Madrid. And Juventus used to wear pink (yes pink!) until the team owner saw Notts County play in there black and white stripes and decided it was time for a change!! (And again Juve brought ought the pink as a road kit ofr a while a year or two back!)

that explains the pink juve baseball cap that i saw the other day... very interesting.

Damm double piost better come up with something else to cover up the embarrasment!

Actually one of the most famous road kit disaster was from the late 1970s when Coventry City had an all brown outfit!! (Might try and snoop around for a pic sometime!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

the Juve story, yes i'd heard that. wore pink and black originally, although the versions i've heard are that 1) an order for new shirts got mixed up and they got Notts County's order instead, and 2) they went to get new shirts but the store didn't have pink so they got teh black and white stripes instead.

I recall they wore it this past season, and i recall wanting one. of course now R. Kelly had to go and make pink the latest fad :cursing::evil:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Discrimihater, I heard that stories too, I was just about to post that... There is a team in Itali that has Pink as a primary color, and next season that team will play in Serie A - Palermo. It's funny, Sicily will have 2 teams in Serie A next year, Palermo and Messina, and also there is Cagliari who is from Sardegna that will also play Serie A, 3 island teams in Serie A... I might go dig to see what shirts will they wear. I know Cagliari is half red half blu and Messina has Lecce style red and yellow stripes.

Damm double piost better come up with something else to cover up the embarrasment!

Actually one of the most famous road kit disaster was from the late 1970s when Coventry City had an all brown outfit!! (Might try and snoop around for a pic sometime!!)

I've seen those Coventry kits... :puke:

piratesSig.gif

An intersting soccer related move in sports unis comes from my on beloved Southampton. Rather than haveing the usual home, away and third kit, they now have home and two equally billed away kits- both with historical overtones. One is sky blue and dark blue, as the team wore as an away kit in the early 1980s during the best spell in the clubs history, and the other is yellow and royal blue, which they wore when they won the FA Cup in 1976, and also when losing the FA Cup final in 2003.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived